Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz MIM? should i?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleafan, Jan 2, 2001.

1. before my wallet is drained, after my whole december holidays worth of pay cheques, should i do it BUY THE MIM it is the only one i can afford and i love it! but does any one have any objections to this holy matramony? else forever hold your peace!!!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You say you love it, so why hesitate? BUY!
    :)

P or J?

3. Look at my profile. I love mine. Some upgrading makes it superb. Play a lot and get the best playing one.
    Chris

4. upgrading???

is there a official fender upgrade? or a chop shop tune up?

5. I just meant I put in aftermarket humbucking pickups and a "better" bridge. It's useable as is, but about $100 more in Dimarzio DP123 pickups and a Gotoh 201 bridge makes it play and sound like a $1000 bass.

Chris

6. http://www.warmoth.com/frames6.htm

Look at the Gotoh 201. Direct drop in for Fender Jazz with no drilling necessary. (As I understand it, haven't done it yet.)

http://www.dimarzio.com/model_j.html

I love these pickups. A little wood chiseling is necessary to fit in the bridge pickup, but it's easy. I put in the ones on my Mexi and my Squier Jazzes. They are available here for like $90 or so:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com

And I should say that it would probably be necessary to have the thing professionally set up to PLAY like a $1000 bass (although I've never had mine professionally done, I eventually will). The above hardware changes make it SOUND like a $1000 bass.

Here's my Mexi:

[​IMG]

Chris

7. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Go for it! I just got one for christmas as a backup bass, but I am now thinking of selling my main axe and just keeping the jazz. Just out of curiousity throbbinut, what kind of improvements would a new bridge make?

8. Everybody says the heavier bridge increases sustain, which I think it does, but I put on a new bridge because the saddles on the original bridge are free to move left-to-right a little bit too much for my liking. I could move them with my fingers about a 1/16th of an inch to either side. I got the Badass2 since it was a direct drop in with no drilling, but I had to file the string slots on the saddles. Nice bridge though for sure.

I'm gonna get the Gotoh 201 for my Squier jazz since it is also a no-drill drop in and it already has string slots on the saddles. I don't think it is as heavy as the Badass2, so it may not increase the sustain as much, but it has notches in the baseplate for the saddle allen screws to ride in for side-side stability. Part of the true Jazz sound is the wimpy bridge that damps out some of the string vibration, supposedly. Maybe the Gotoh is in between the stock bridge and the Badass2 as far as sustain goes.

So for me, mechanical stability was the reason to change. Any increase in sustain is a bonus.

Chris

9. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    You should. Absolutely.

As for the bridge saddles wobbling, you can try using your standard Philips screwdriver to tighten up the saddles a bit: I did so, and the result is rock-solid bridge saddles.

10. Are you talking about the intonation screws? Moving the saddles back changes the intonation, i.e. your notes up and down the neck may not be in tune.

Chris

11. I bought a MIM fretless and ended up putting a Warmoth fretless P-bass neck on it (didn't like the rosewood fingerboard and the cheap feeel of neck). but I liked the MIM well enough even without the change, the original neck was much faster. I really like the sound of the stock pickups and I've never had any "sustain" issues with the bridge.
    If you can find one, the Sunburst Standard Jazz is really nice as I think they use a single chunk of poplar for the body and it feels and sounds super solid. But they are a little more expensive.

12. Hey fleafan, BUY IT! I bought a Mexi Fretless Jazz
    back in July and bless that day! I was hemin' and
    horin'(not whorring)for a while, but, all I can say is
    you will NOT be making a mistake at all.So they're made
    in Mexico, so what? They feel and sound like 70s Fenders.
    The only complaint that I have is that the pickups hum a little more than I'd like, but, have I changed them yet?
    No. But I did buy a Epiphone Jack Casady Bass(hasn't been
    delivered yet).When I get a little ambition I'm going to
    replace the pickups with Bartolinis.Did you see the installation job that guy did on that white Jazz? Beautiful!
    (sorry I forgot your name while writting this post)I know where you're coming from about the money part, but, if you can swing it at all, do it! You won't regret it!
    Mike J.

13. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I haven't seen much change. Perhaps they were set wrong when I got the bass. :eek:

If I remember correctly, the standard check for intonation is to play the 12th-fret harmonic on a string, then compare it to the 12-fret fingered note. If they don't match, the intonation is wrong. Well, according to that test, I'm still properly intonated.

Still, I wasn't aware of the function of those screws. Now I am the more enlightened for your sharing of knowledge. ;)

14. I've had my MIM J Bass for about four years and it's wonderful. I haven't really done anything to it yet (besides put on a new pickguard) but I'm really thinking about new pickups and bridge.

I play with a pick (I know, I know - "What a wimp!") and often I get a lot of pick noise that comes through, but other than that, I've never had a problem with it.

I love that it's a huge piece of wood (not as huge as a Gibson Ripper, Grabber, or Firebird, but still pretty large). I love the size of the neck and how its headstock balances out the design.

Okay, I'm a little biased.

Chuck

15. I think every bass player should have one!

One point I forgot to mention, the fact that the MIM Jazz is so dang inexpensive (relatively speaking, $300 is still a lot of Big Mac's :D) really lets you play full-force with no worries about messing up or wearing out an expensive bass. I still love my Rickenbacker, but I never play it.

Chris

16. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Go and get it, you won't be disappointed! I got one year 1999 and it has been my main axe since. The old '79 JB is hardly touched anymore.
    Plus, I tried with other pups, but the originals are better to my taste - lots of bark and snap - oh, I had a luthier do the cavity work for MIM JB and it is quite nice now.

It kicks ass with SVT stack!!!

17. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY

I'll add my yes to the long list. I just got one for Christmas. It's well built and sounds great. And for the price I don't feel bad makings changes to it. The two most common tweeks to the bass are relatively easy to make - the pick-ups and the bridge. But I like the sound right out of the box. A good solid bass with growing room in it.

18. I don't want to sound like a broken record here but if you got yourself a Godin SD, you wouldn't need to change the pickups, bridge and tuners like so many MIM Fender owners have done. Besides the wood and workmanship is far superior to start with. No amount of hardware swapping is going to change that.

19. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    throbbinnut, dude, play that Ric! What's the point of having a nice bass if you're afraid of playing it? Your church must be pretty wild if you're hesitant to play it at your gig:)

20. I still dig the Rick, but I'm just too stoked on my Jazzes right now. I've only had them for less than a year, and I never had a Fender Jazz before that, so they are still new to me. I've had the Rick for like 10 years, so it's not so exciting anymore. When I do break it out, I'm reminded of how cool it really is. It's definitely a different animal than a jazz. Think of it this way though, if something happened to one of your basses, would you rather it be a replaceable $300 player, or a 70's off-white Rickenbacker?

Yep, that church gig is crazy. 60's and 70's rock with changed lyrics. Since I don't sing or listen to the lyrics, to me it's the exact same stuff I played in bars when I was 17. :D I don't think I have to worry about a mosh pit, though. And I don't think we're gonna pull a Who and smash the instruments either. I'd be more likely to hurt my bass by having a car accident on the way to the gig.

Chris