1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender jazz mim... Worth a shot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xkomo, Jun 2, 2014.

1. xkomo

xkomo

Feb 6, 2011
    Greece
    I found a Mexican jazz (97 or 98) for sale at 350 euros. I was wordering though if it worths. Were 97-98 good years for the Mex factory? Do you think that this will sound as a jazz should?

2. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    In my experience...it's more about how MIM's play vs. how they sound. One of the best sounding basses I ever owned was an MIM 70's Reissue Jazz Circa 2009....but I had to replace the neck and could never get it to play the way I wanted. So I sold it....but still regret it to this day!

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Older MIM Fender basses had a looser interpretation of quality control. There were good ones made, but also more lemons then. There were changes in the pickups I think around 2002. To be safe, I personally usually try to stick with MIM basses from 2005 and on - more consistent in quality- in particular, in regards to the neck and electronics. I won't disregard an older one though if the price is right, I just usually try to be a little bit more thorough in checking the instrument such as whether the truss rod is maxed out etc. Check the neck, electronics and make sure all is good before you buy. Could be one of the better ones made back then.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    There were a few models of Jazz basses coming out of Mexico in that time frame ... do you have more info/pics? .. are you able to play/examine prior to purchase?

... there is quite a bit of info on TB regarding the early (pre '01) MIM Standard J's, as well as 'Black Label' models ... might want to scan some of that info as well .. ;)

5. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    I had a 91 mex and it never came with the fridge magnet pickups that the new mims come with, so its hard to say , I got a 2012 mim jazz the other day , got home ripped the pups out and drop in some pickups that came out of a USA special jazz....

I read an article once where a guy said that in the early mex days allota staff from the USA factory went to the the mex factory to go and show the guys how to work the machines etc

So I'm sure the quality isn't bad , a mate of mine has a 92 mex and it's great!

That's my 2cents