1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz OR DJ Skyline...Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by captain bass, Apr 2, 2009.

1. captain bass

captain bass

Jan 28, 2009
    Hi there,

My old folks are going to NYC this month and I'm getting them to pick me up a new bass, I'm torn between a new/used Fender Am Std Jazz or a new Skyline DJ.

I'm not gonna be able to try the bass so I want some opinions on this matter please.

My styles are funk/jazz, the DJ looks and sounds really nice, I think my mind is made up but I'd love to hear some knowledge on this subject.

Thanks,

Max.

2. Have you played a DJ? They do have a bit thicker neck than the MIA. I much prefer my MIA to the DJ I had. Workmanship and build quality of both were about the same but the neck on the MIA is much better for me. Plus it's lighter weight.

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    MY advice is to play all of them that you can, and buy whichever one you like the best. Don't be influenced by anything but that, or you might not make the right decision.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Hey EM, the DJ's neck felt thicker to you? Weird. The neck on my DJ4 feels narrower, front-to-back, than that of any recent MIA Jazz (or the Skyline JO, for that matter). I thought that was the general consensus, actually. That's not to say the Fender necks actually feel thick, by any means; I've found them comfortable.

captain, I bought my DJ used in 2007 after comparing it to a lot of Fender Js at the time ('60s, Highway One, MIA, reissues). The new American Standard Fenders are a step up, but I still prefer my DJ. YMMV, of course.:)

5. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Wow...I never thought that. The neck on my DJ seemed pretty thin, and it was right at 8 lbs.

6. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    IMO, the necks are very similar. The DJ is heavier in weight. If Aero pups are in the Lakland, get the DJ!! One of my biggest regrets was selling my DJ!! Granted, I got a L2000 which is awesome too--but I do miss the DJ. Better tones.

7. mia jazz.

8. The radius of the DJ is only 7.5 which makes the fingerboard rounder than the MIA jazz which is 9.5 which makes the DJ a tiny bit thicker front to back. They're the same nut width however. I like the flatter profile myself, much easier to play.

9. MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Yeah...I remember the radius being that way...just remember the neck feeling thinner that my JOs' necks.

10. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I forgot to mention, my DJ's between 8 and 9 lbs. Also, I've found the new Skylines from Indonesia to be consistently lighter in general (though I've seen a couple heavy ones) than the Korean ones.

11. MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Yep! Some of the new Skylines are very light!

12. Wow, Indonesia ??? Since when did that happen? I thought only cheap Squires came out of that country. When did Lakland stop using Aero pups in the DJ4? I have a used one on layaway @ GC with the sn. starting with 03xxxxxxxx...It's also natural ash with maple board/white blocks...just wondering...

13. noisetree

noisetree

Feb 20, 2007
  14. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Here's the deal on the move to Indonesia, explained succinctly.:)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6575171&postcount=257

Lakland used Aeros in DJs until late 06/early 07, so yours should have them unless it was modded.

15. I've been SUPREMELY happy with my DJ's!!!

djs.
    dj1-1.

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Go DJ for all of the reasons stated above.....I LOVE mine but it is for sale due to a redundancy (I also have a US and Skyline JO) and a "need" for a 5 banger fretless.

I have owned a US Fender as well as a RIC and the DJ5 (and the DJ4 I owned prior) have been up to or exeding the quality of these instruments......

you will not be dissapointed......

17. MIA Fender.But it doesn't matter what we think,it's what suits you.

18. birdie num nums

birdie num nums

Dec 20, 2006
    Yes, it's what suits you. Tons of MIA Fenders are flying in the "For Sale" section.

Get a DJ4. A light one. And be happy...

19. captain bass

captain bass

Jan 28, 2009
    Thanks for the replies!

Problem is I'm not gonna be able to try any first. I'm gonna have to take a gamble on a used MIA Jazz......... or play it fairly safe and get a new DJ4.

I just don't want to look back and wish I got something different.

The dealbreaker for me is tone, and then some more tone! I need this bass to cut through a mix and for it to sit nicely in a mix too. Or course I want playability and a nice finish, but it's gotta cut it when recording.

Is the DJ a pro standard instrument? I don't want to buy another bass for a good few years. I know the Fender is good to go......... but the Indonesia thing is bugging me with Lakland, I know it shouldn't though.

Any more helpful bits of knowledge? Bear in mind I'm gonna be unable to try out these instruments.

Thanks chaps!

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I also think the DJ's neck is slightly thinner, front to back, than an MIA Jazz or Joe Osborn. It's more like the Geddy Lee. Normally, I prefer the flatter radius fretboards of Fenders, but with Lakland's Plek fret levelling, the action on new DJ's can get really low and they play like butter. I was blown away by the last one I tried, and it was really light too.

Keep in mind the Laklands use much narrower fretwire than Fenders, which matters to some.

Tone-wise, the Lakland will have slightly more clarity than the Fender, but they're close. I recently A/B'd a new Am. Standard Fender with a new Skyline JO, and that's about the only difference I heard. Honestly, they're so close that feel and price should be the deciding factors.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. They're both great.