1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz or Flea Bass?????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whitefield, Jan 15, 2012.

1. whitefield

whitefield

Jan 15, 2012
    Kings Lynn
    Looking for a new bass for a funk band, what would you recomend? Fender Jazz or a Flea bass?????:)

2. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    I haven't played a flea bass. But a jazz is great for funk and pretty much anything else. The flea bass seems like something trendy, you might keep the jazz for ever.

3. OMG GET IBANEZ cause it's METALZ!!! lol

Kidding, kidding! :p ;)

I'd go Jazz all the way. I've never played a Flea bass, but based on experience with other basses, I suspect the Jazz will be much more flexible to cover all the different funk sounds you might want/need, or anything else like Liquid says. I don't think you'll get a Jaco tone out of that Flea bass, for example. The pickup on the Flea looks like it might be rather Stingray-ish. My go-to bass is my Jazz V, because I can bring it into any situation and know it'll fit well.

Not that you can't play funk on any bass you pick up, though. I've played funk even on an Ibanez! lol It's really about personal preference. If you can, go get your hands on both and decide which YOU like best.

:bassist:

5sg.

4. Jazz

5. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    jazz, i heard flea bass s****

6. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    ....P bass.. :bag:

7. Not an out-of-place mention, actually! A Pbass with flats is pretty awesome for straight up old-school funk, but doesn't have as much versatility for other styles as a Jazz.

5sg.