Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz or Music Man Stingray/Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jondr, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Jondr

Jondr

Apr 3, 2005
    rite im having problems..i like the idea that fender has a warmer fuller tone which is good for when i play in bands..

but when i practise i do some techincal slappin, and tappin so i like my crisp punchy tone which im aware that music man's have...

as music man have humbuckers they must be able to get a thick fender like tone aswel?

i want atleast 22 frets..so that means i need a Fender USA Deluxe Jazz bass, if i go 4 fender

which are better Stingray or Bongo?

which bass should i get out of the three?

thanks for all you help.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    what about the Sterling? My understanding is that it's more similar to a Jazz bass than the Stingray is.

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Get both an American Deluxe Jazz and a StingRay. You won't be disappointed. I know I'm not!

4. Jondr

Jondr

Apr 3, 2005
    i havnet thought of sterling, iv just tried a stingray which felt amazing, shame there wasnt an amp around..and i like the look of the bongo..i dont know much about music man part from wot i sed in the first post

jon

5. Jondr

Jondr

Apr 3, 2005
    lol, id love both that would solve all problems, but funds are low, so that isnt an option...1 day tho!!..

jon

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Fender's Marcus Miller Jazz Bass?

Has that jazz tone and the slap is great! (Mine was) I'm looking around for a used one but have had no luck over the past week or so.

7. Jondr

Jondr

Apr 3, 2005
    iv tried one and i wasnt that impressed, and it only has 20 frets which i dont like..i have this weird thing about owning signature instruments, dont ask i dont rele understand..if i go for Fender it would have to be the USA deluxe Jazz...the other thing is that i have been advised for fender jazz for the music i play -heavyish rock- but i do alot more as well as that..

jon

8. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I played in a heavy rock band but focused on other styles in my own time as well. I guess I'd go with the jazz bass (I had the Marcus) but a USA Deluxe should get the job done. Make sure to go play some before buying. Try some other basses as well.

9. Jondr

Jondr

Apr 3, 2005
    why do u not advise the music man? bongo or stingray..

jon

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    The series setting on the sterling has a jazzish feel to it... give the sterling a try.

11. Jondr

Jondr

Apr 3, 2005
    i wil give it a try..in a way i think im urging towards a music man because i like the idea of having one..and every 1 has a fender (i realise its cos the kik ass) i duno i spose im just being petty..i need to get the best instrument for me..

jon

12. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I love the Stingray and want to get one myself but you really just cant go wrong with a MIA Jazz deluxe its an unbelievable bass! :bassist:

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Well, if you can only get one, I'd say go with the StingRay. The build quality of EB/MM instruments is quite a bit better than what's currently coming out of Fender, plus I think the EB/MM necks are the greatest thing since sliced bread--personally, I'm not a real big fan of 4-string Jazz necks (too narrow up near the head, but I love the Jazz V--just right!).

The only thing that would mitigate this opinion is that I think the Jazz might be a bit more flexible than the StingRay, due to the pickup placement of the MM style.

14. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    In my experience, the Musicman (StingRay) just seems thin to me. That can always be tinkered with but I think the Jazz might be a fuller tone for that heavy rock sound. The Sterling may be better than the StingRay but I've only played a couple at music stores. Haven't played the Bongo.

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Go Bongo, man! :hyper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Sterling. Similiar to jazz, similiar to stingray, but >.

17. Jondr

Jondr

Apr 3, 2005
    if i chose a music man..which should i get..so far iv been told Sterling..but i love the look of the Bongo, and id love to have a stingray just to say i have 1 :) ...what would u choose?

jon

18. If you're going to do alot of slap stuff, don't go with the Bongo 5 with dual humbuckers. The top bucker gets in the way alot. All in all, i'd say go with a StingRay. I've had my StingRay 5 for years now and i'll never sell the beast. Although i'm not a big rock player, i've done my share of heavy rock and my SR5 gives just the right tone to me. It's all what your fingers and ears think brotha. Take some time on it, and buy what is good for you.

Andrew

19. dude, thats a decision you need to make personally i have spent a lot of time on the sterling and a little on the bongo... the bongo REALLY impressed me. Right now i'm looking for another bongo to try for a lil more than 20 mins so i can see if its what i reall want... sterling didnt impress me as much until i played it through an ampeg rig it had the greatest tone.

My choice is Bongo, but see if you can try them side by side.... do not buy the ray/sterling without hearing it... they sound a little different than norm

20. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    The Bongo with the neck pickup and some tone knob adjustment will give you the thicker, deeper sound you want and the bridge pickup will give you the Stingray tone. The Bongo is the only bass I would buy if I was to buy another bass. I'm not sure if the Bongo might even have a coil splitter which would give you even more of a Fender tone.