Fender Jazz or Music Man Stingray..why you choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    The answer is easy...Why of those basses you pick over the other,Fender Jazz or Music Man Stingray,two of the most famous instruments ever,why you pick?(excuseme english) :p
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I understand why folks like their Stingrays, but I like Jazzes better. Why? I like the thinner neck, the smoother tone and the looks of them. I also just happen to be a Fender (or Fender clone) kinda guy. Just my opinion, you understand.
  3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yep i undestand because am a Fender Lover too.my son name is Stratocaster...... :p
  4. I like both, but I'm really digging the Stingray tone. Stingray's have a certain distinct tone that is very hard to match. Fender's and their clones are all over the place and for the majority sound the same, but nothin' sounds quite like a Ray. Just my $.02
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    you right but remember which is the most imitate bass in the hystory of the electric instrument,yeah right,the Jazzes are,not the strato,not the Stingrays,not the Rickenbakers,not the Telecaster,not the Mapex,not the Sonor,not..the most imitate bass or wathever instrument ever is the Jazz Bass of Fender..the questions is why all others brand try to imitate the Jazz Bass look and sound/ easy to answer,for the great basses Fender build and this strong and famous sound.......sweetttttttttt :bassist:
  6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I just bought a used 62 Reissue Jazz from Bass NW that is just a joy to play. It's heavy at 10.5 pounds but with the Comfort Strapp, I don't notice the weight.
  7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I choose not to choose.

I play both! (Plus Bongos and a Fish.)
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I choose Stingray. Because I am manly.

: :mad:
  9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    This is a big question to me. I currently own one of each. I've ran them through all tube rigs, hybrid rigs, and all SS rigs. I've used each for slap, finger, and pick songs. I've used a variety of different strings on them. I've used a variety of different effects and preamps on them. End result? They are equal with each sporting their own pros and cons. Personally, I prefer The Stingray for slap and some pick stuff, and the Jazz for finger and some other pick stuff.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman...Sterling :) get the jazz ish neck with the stingray tone and more :)
  11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yuo are a lucky guy,you have both
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I love the smoother tone of the jazz. I don't think one is better than the other by any means.
  13. This is good timing. I love my SR5 but sometimes it's a little too authorative. I picked up a new MIA J and it seems to be a nice alternative. I'm glad I don't have to choose one because they both do a different set of tones for me. Plus one's a 4 and the other a 5 string.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lotsa stuff can do a Jazz sound dead bang. Only a Ray is a Ray is a Ray.

...of course, I'm biased.
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

If you're wondering which to get, you might want to wait a month or so. EB are introducing two pickup Stingrays and Sterlings, including HH and HS configurations. If you like the Jazz tone but also hanker for the Musicman grunt, an HS Stingray or Sterling might be what you're after.
  16. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Definately Jazz. I sold my stingray for a jazz after owning the stingray for a year, and I've never looked back. Better tone, variety, a neck to die for and the best looking bass there is.
  17. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm a fan of both - however, the pendulum has swung towards the Jazz side as I have recently sold my 'Ray and replaced it with a Jazz.

18. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Never owned a Ray, but have played 4's and 5's extensively. Own a '64 Jazz. The Jazz is more useful for a variety of things... not versatile tone-wise, but the sound just works for so many styles and applications. The Ray has one sound, and does it better than anything else out there. Doesn't always work in the big picture though. I'd like to own a Ray someday, or maybe an old Sabre :) But I'd never give up my Jazz for one.
  19. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    jazz, but my next bass will be a ray, my hearts set on it.
  20. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars