1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz or Musicman Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spartanKH, May 24, 2011.

1. spartanKH

spartanKH

May 20, 2011
  2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    neither. It's up to your tastes.

3. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    What kind of music are you playing? What is your current situation, gigging and band wise?

Both can work for anything, but we can offer some useful opinions with a little more information.

4. G&L

5. I've got both and love them both. DEpends on what type of music you are playing. Can't go wrong with either one though.

6. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Too different sounds and builds. You cant compare an active humbucking bass to a bass that traditionally has two single coil pickups.

The necks are also very different, at least in my hands. I own both.

If you like the way a Jazz feels, but still want a bigger sounding bass check out the Music Man Sterling line (not the Sterling by Music Man). The neck of the Sterling is a thing of beauty and is closer to a Jazz neck than the Stingray is.

For resale, the Music Man may take a little larger hit but that's only because Fenders have magic fairy dust that make people pay way more then they are worth when they're sold used.

7. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I have both and have had both for getting close to 30yrs. They are different animals. And those folks who said that it depends on what you play (or what you intend on playing are stone-cold correct; IMO).

They BOTH have a great range. They both have a special feel. I have an serious old Music Man and two EBMM; there is a difference. I have HAD a pre-CBS J-bass and have had a selection of MIA jazz and two MIJ and the tonality difference is less perceptible. IF I was going to get another Jazz base I would unquestionably get a used high end MIA or a new MIJ "old-style" (I don't like the term "re-issue").
    I most likely wouldn't buy a new StingRay as I remember them for so much less than today's prices: I'd buy used. I would also hunt for a MM Saber (occasionally you can get a good price on those).
    I also agree that in terms of re-sale a smack-new EBMM will take a harder hit than a higher-end Jazz Bass. Frankly I would go used on both.

qdog likes this.
  8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    ^^^ This guy has wisdom!

Perhaps if you spend more time on each-at the store, you can narrow it down to one. Youtube has lots of vids with each of those models.
    You could use the search feature there, and listen to them (with headphones).

9. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Gotta go with this guy. I drove Fenders and Music Mans for months, enjoying both but not being able to decide.... until I pulled up on a G&L L2000.....oh my. No going back, best of both worlds, try it you'll like it.

Chris

10. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Of those two, I would go Stingray. I have owned neither. But, I've heard quite a few bands with both and the bands with a Stingray consistently have a good bass sound in the mix. The bands with a Fender Jazz rarely have a good bass sound in the mix (to MY ears - and I'm talking about hearing bands live, in person, not a recorded mix).

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    +1.
    It`s completely up to you.
    There`s no better or worse there, just a matter of personal preferences.

I personally prefer the Fender Jazz cause I dig its inherent traditional tone and neck profile but the Stingray is another superb classic bass.

Try to play them both before deciding.
    Your taste may differ from others.

12. I went through the exact same debate recently. I talked to a lot of different professionals and semi-professionals.

Most of the pros I spoke with recommended EBMM. However, those that had tried the new (since Spring 2010) Fender American Deluxe Jazz couldn't stop raving about it.

I went with the Fender and am very, very happy with it. (I bought it with a return option because I couldn't find any to try locally.)

I think you'd be happy with either one, but to give you an idea of how happy I am with my decision, I changed my Facebook relationship status from "Married" to "In a Relationship with American Deluxe Jazz Bass".

13. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I own both and I can relate.
    the Musicman seems to sit in the mix perfectly in my rock band with two loud guitarists (usually playing a Marshall JCM half stack and a Twin Reverb or HRDV) no matter what we play be it a ballad, surf inspired tune, reggae piece etc. the Jazz, while sounding great alone, cuts through the mix in a different way but doesn't seem to fill the low end as effectively as the low-mid rich Stingray.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Fender is my favorite..

i recently played both models through the same rig. the neck on the Fender was the difference. (tone was also)

it seemed like the listeners enjoyed the Jazz more. no one said a word when i put the SR down, but after playing the Jbass, big grins and positive feedback from everyone in the studio.

the Soul of the Tone,... if i might coin a phrase!!!

15. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    jazz is more traditional and versatile, the ray is more wild

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Not in my experience. I've bought and sold a ton of StingRays and Jazzes, and I've always gotten more for upper model Rays than MIA Reissue Jazzes. Std MIA Jazzes I've gotten the same range as std Rays.

17. Scobac

Scobac

Feb 4, 2011
    Can't go wrong with either! but all Jazzes and Rays are not created equal! I looked for a couple of years before I found a ray that had the combination of grain,weight,fit and finish that spoke to me! My Jazz I've had forever;again it was a bass that just had that thang about it that all jazzes don't have! I'd play as many of each as you could get your hands on. First one that REALLY jumps out and grabs you; that's what I'd go with!

18. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    They are both great basses. If you decide on a Jazz, the new Am. Dlx. Jazz basses that you posted a link to just KILL! I have owned, and still own many generations of jazz basses from the 70's-Today and I think these are future (and present) classics. I love the crazy number of tonal varieties at my fingerstips with this new generation of the J-Bass. Being able to play in passive mode or active mode is a feature I have long awaited ans I am really glad that this option was incorporated. They are both graet basses and it really depends on your tonal goals and which bass feels most comfortable to you.