Fender Jazz or Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rude boy, Dec 30, 2000.

1. rude boy

rude boy

Feb 11, 2000
    Pittsburgh area
    I'm torn between getting an American Jazz Bass or a Musicman Stingray. Is the Stingray better and if so worth the extra cash? (Note: I know that Musicman's are especially great for funk but I tend to play smoother stuff like jazz and traditional ska if that means anything in somebody's recomendation.)
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    You really have apples and oranges here, go play both as well as a Fender Precision and MM Sterling and any other bass the store has hanging around. None of these choices are better, just different.
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I agree with MJB. Fender players will say apples, MM players will say oranges. I play smooth jazz on my Stingray fretless, and like it fine. Play a bunch, and don't even limit your choice to those two. Happy New Year.
  4. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    Also don't rule out the G&L asat or the L2000 they are great basses with great versatility.try one you'll like it.

5. What you should do is go to your local dealer or whatever, grab both of those basses, and compare and contrast both of the basses to see which one you like better.
  6. A Stingray is VERY different from a Jazz. A Sterling is much more comparable...kinda like a Jazz on steroids. I love my fretless Sterling, but I love my Fenders just as much.
  7. Hey,
    I'm really into trad ska and stuff. I would never play ska on a Stingray personally. Stingrays are way too trebely. On the other hand, Jazz basses have a big range in tone. They are great for ska and funk, and many other things. Go for the Jazz.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police