fender jazz pickgaurds..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basseddie, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Got me one of them fender mim jazzes and a week ago took off the pickgaurd and saw that there is a lot of nice wood under there that is covered up. This got me to thinking why does fender use such a big ol peice of plastic like that anyway. It is starting to look real cheezzy to me, dont get me wrong i like the bass, but hey fender, isnt it time for a change?? They could easily route the neck pickup like the bridge and put the controls in from the rear, and no pickgaurd. Im thinkin this would be a cool looking bass like that. I know fender puts this big piece of plastic on all their guitars, and it seems like their trakemark since the 50s,.
    Just some thoughts , anyone else have any comments??

ps. hope this is in the proper forum, i wasnt sure, sorry if it is not.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, what do you expect from a MIM? :) On the MIA models, I believe the electronics ARE rear-routed, so you can remove the pickguard (but there would still be holes from the screws :().

Fender do not need to change anything on their classic models - they will sell lots of them anyway. What does one say... "if it's not broken, don't fix it"? :)

If you want a Fender-type bass without a pickguard, buy some Warmoth parts and put them together yourself, or let someone else put them together. Or, you could swing the big $ and buy a Mike Lull or Sadowsky or whatever high-end Fender clones there are.

Until then, you'll have to live with the "big ol' piece of plastic". :)
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Over the years Fender has put out a number of basses that have not had pickguards. To my knowledge however, none of them has sold all that well, at least compared to the old faithful Jazz and Precision models. I know other companies have been quite successful in moving units without pickguards but I guess when most people think Fender they think of a J or P with a big ol' pickguard on it. Fender is simply responding to the market...
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Much easier from a production standpoint back in the day... Now, even though there may not be a particularly valid reason, other than marketing, to continue the pickguard practice, it is what is expected...

My '92 MIM Jazz has a big-assed pocket cut where the fron pickup is placed. Is this still the case with the newer MIM's?? That being said, the pickguard also allows me to personalize my bass without damaging it permanently... Look closely at XavierG's pickguard... If that isn't one of the coolest modifications to a bass via the pickguard, then I don't know what is...

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I bought mine in July of '99, and it has the same cut on the front p-up. I took it off and was cleaning all that dern plastic they put on there off and saw that as well. Kinda disappoints me actually, cuz it does look really cool w/ no pickguard. Kinda gives you that "jaco-esque" look with the screw-holes still there:D
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I have a '95 MIJ "FotoFlame" bass that is awesome looking without it's pickguard. It has no extra routing at all, and you are right, the cheap white plastic pickguard just hid a beautiful flamed top. However, my MIA Jazz has a hole about the size of a quarter just to the right of the neck pickup. Does anyone know what this is for? It isn't large enough to hold a battery, and is in such a position to where I can see no useful purpose. Anyone?
  7. I dunno, I have a '96 MIA 5, when I take my pickguard off, I have a kinda like hole moat kinda thing around my pickup
  8. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I think the hole is used in the manufacturing process. They place the body on some sort of jig or machine that allows them to more easily manipulate the bass and that hole is where the bass affixes to it. I understand that the new American Series basses do NOT have said hole (although I'm not sure).
  9. My 99 Amer Standard does not have the quarter sized hole, but it still has the front routing, thusly preventing any sans pickguard option.
  10. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I believe Dan gouge is right. It is a hole for a jig that actually allows for even painting of the body.
  11. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Fenders have typically always had pickguards. As mentioned previously, Fender has made some pickguard-less basses, but they have not sold so great. When one thinks of Fender guitars and basses they envision an instrument with a pickguard.
    Personally, I prefer pickguards, and would never buy a bass without one. I just like the look of them.
    Obviously, you are entitled to your own opinions, but a Fender without a pickguard would cease to be the archetype that is so familiar to millions worldwide.
    Fender guitars and basses obviously sell very well, and there hasn't been, and there probably never will be, sufficient demand specifically for basses without pickguards.
    If you want a bass without a pickguard, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.
  12. Hey estring, please dont take offence to my post, I really like my mim jazz 5 , a good first bass to learn on. Even thinking of doing some pups and bridge upgrades, or may trade up to an mia jazz. When I was in my teens many moons ago, I owned 2 fender strats, wish I kept the one with the maple neck.
    All I was saying was that the bass would look great without the gaurd, or even a smaller one. There is a lot of nice wood covered up. Even if you could get them in different colors, the white just seems to jump out too much.
    I suppose the fender custom shop could make a bass without the guard, but it would cost a fortune.
  13. I happen to like the pickguards. I wish there were more finishes...white gets boring. I think they break up the finish into smaller sections so it doesnt look as boring. I saw a Squier Jazz bass, blue, with no pickguard. There was just too much blue. But on my Fender Jazz, its blue with a white pickguard...just enough of each.
  14. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    There are a number of companies that sell different colour PG's for the aftermarket. I think WD Music also has some funky designs. You can even get checkerboards or flags if you want.
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was just thinking the same thing. USA Plus basses came to mind. & some MIJ were called the "Power P & J" (I think that was the model name).

If you really want a nice Fender style bass, do what Oysterman said, go to www.warmoth.com I built a SLAMMING BASS for under $900.