Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Pickguard tolerance

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arranger, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I ordered a new tortoise pickguard for my US Deluxe Jazz through Musician's Friend - it's the correct factory Fender part in Fender packaging. Yep, it had the right number of holes and everything. I was so psyched, until I went to fit it on. The tolerances are so far off that the tone control plate doesn't even abutt to the new pickguard. The screw holes are fine and line up properly, but you can actually see the electronics through the gap that it created. It is not even possible to realign the tone control plate to make it work.

Looking at the original vs. the new, there are clear differences in the two cutouts. Should this be expected, or did I just get a Friday afternoon manufacturing error?

Thanks for the insight.

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I found some differences in the MIM J's vs the US J's, although they are supposed to be made with the same measurements, I recently got a US J bass neck and I had to widen the neck pocket on my MIM J for it to fit in there. so it is possible that something like that is going on. But mostly the differences are pretty minor that I've seen, so its also very possible that you just got screwed with a deformed pickguard.
    you might try just taking them both to a music store that sells 'em and match 'em up to see if its just the one you got that is messed up, or if they are all like that.

3. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks. What about having a pickguard made somewhere?

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

check out www.warmoth.com ...
    i'm thinking about ordering one for my Jazz Bass , red pearl ! :cool:

5. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Yeah you could do that too, although, if you're looking for a normal J bass one, I would also check out www.warmoth.com, they do great work and they do it all to American fender specs. or they also sell pickguard material you could get some and cut it out exactally to the specs you want. you could also try www.stewmac.com if you want too.

6. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Great links. Thank you.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to just pursue the creation of a pickguard by a pro. If I had a super accurate tracing, would it be easy for the right person with the right tools?

I don't own a fine jig saw and drill press.