Fender Jazz... pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfish01, Sep 2, 2005.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I have a '99 MIM Fender Jazz, and just recently gave it a set up (it REALLY needed it) and put on some flatwounds. She sounds great, but needs to look better. She's a midnight wine, and still has that white pickguard on there. I'm going to open this one up for everyone: what new color pickguard should I get? I am no doubt going to be getting one from All-Parts. :rolleyes:

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My 2000 MIM jazz is Midnight Wine. I've had a white pearl, and 62' tort guard on there. I'm back to a white one-I actually like it that way, so my vote goes for leaving the white one on :hyper:
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Black or tort.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have a 2003 Midnight wine Fender Jazz. I have a white pearl pg on it. But black is equally as sexy on a midnight wine. NOT TORT!!!:eek:
  5. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    It looks great to me as is.........

But, you will change it. If you must - white pearloid, I put a black pearloid on a P that was that color 'cause it originally had a plain flat black scratched up guard. It didn't look all that great. IMO of course.

Tort will make it look invisible. Contrast is striking.
  6. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    White pearl or black. I don't like plain white pickguards, myself.
  7. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Thanks guys. I just ordered a 3-ply black pickguard from allparts.com, and here's an interesting update: I cut the A string too short when putting it on, and so it sits too high on the nut and falls off whenever I play on it. Now I have to plug down $30 for a new set. :bawl:
  8. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    30 bucks for a new set... here's an idea!

just take it as an omen, splurge a little bit and just put on the TI's or La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats :smug:
  9. Lime green...
    yellow... :cool: :bassist:
  10. White pearl? That might be too much though.

I'd go with black.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

A nice simple trick I use is to use the old string as a guide where to cut.