1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender jazz pickups or p/j pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agentrx, Oct 8, 2010.

1. agentrx

agentrx

Sep 2, 2010
  2. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well that is a great question which comes down to taste....but I have used both pickup configurations and to tell the truth the BEST sounds and most diverse tones I have gotten were PJ setup. In fact while in the studio both the owner and engineer were amazed at the tones and punch I had gotten for the Cd. (Which btw is being released nationally next week, 39Stripes - "Beyond Broken"). Good luck with your decision.

3. agentrx

agentrx

Sep 2, 2010
    oh snapp... yeah i'm deciding if I want to get a jb75-pj

http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/jb75-pj-vwh-jazz-bass.html

or a jb66b

http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/jb66b-us-vwh-jazz-bass.html

39-Bassist, your comment really startles me. Now I have second thoughts...hah. I was going to go for the simple jazz pickups, but now I'm really wondering if the PJ setup will work toward tackling diverse styles. Then again I see the Jazz bass tackle all sorts of styles throughout history so...I really have no clue. The bassist in one of my favorite groups uses a a JB66b with pimpin' wear and tear:

and ugh... I just don't know anymore. xnx

...yeah I know flashy bit of work, but my 21rst birthday is comin up and I want to treat myself to something I'm not going to regret 30 years down the line...

4. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I actually have a Custom made Elita Certain Bass, it is a JAZZ body with PJ setup and Leo Quann bridge......I ALMOST bought the Fender Jazz PJ model MIJ, it was a beautiful looking bass but they wanted $120 to ship plus the $1200 to buy...so I had mine built with All Parts equipment and WOW the tones...anyway you will enjoy the diversity of a pj...I am looking for a P-bass w/PJ pickups for my next guitar and am sell a regular p-bass...(Need the PJ sounds) :bassist:

5. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)

6. agentrx

agentrx

Sep 2, 2010
    I LOOOVEEE INCOGNITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:

damn that video was damnn nicee!

>.> and i noticed a fender jazz with jazz pickups... GODD DAMNITT!!! >:O

I'm really caught between these two basses.... I love the Jazz pickup sound so much...and well...honestly I really can't get over the white headstock of the 66b... I know, I know, functionality before looks, but damn if I can get a sound like that bass in that incognito and in the tokyo jihen video, how much of a difference will the P/J make?

Damn...I wish there was a video of someone playing around with the knobs on the P/J... :meh:

7. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I have a JJ and a PJ. Both have J necks and P bodies, same bridge, electronics, etc.

If the bridge J pickup is emphasized, there is less difference between them (to me).

If the neck pickup is emphasized or both pickups on full, the difference is more noticeable to me.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Awesome band!!! BTW anyone know what kind of Gibson guitar the singer was playing?

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have both and I think there is a time and place for both basses. Although I do think the pj setup seems to cut through the mix better probably due to the p bass pickup since they are growly pickups. But a clean j j pickup set up sounds good in the mix with distorted guitars. why not get an sx bass and get both?

10. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    yeah there fantastic..saw them a couple of months ago with Chaka Khan..sorry off topic...but check this out...doing that Boz Scaggs classic...

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009

I like both, but the PJ on either Jazz or P body is my choice. For me, it's the most versatile combo of pickups, and I'd take it a step further and park a humbucker next to the neck. I've heard that combination before on a Jazz body, and it's a great mix of frequencies.

Happy Birthday!

12. agentrx

agentrx

Sep 2, 2010
    I got JB66b!

Thanks for the input everyone. :hyper: