Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz Plus series????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warren_Booth, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Hi,
    New to the forum, but not to the bass. been playing for 12 years. Question is, I bought a Fender Jazz Plus (I think) in 1993. It has an altered body, smaller scratch plate, longer upper horn, etc. Does anybody have any info on this series as I would love to know more. Its a great bass and one that will be with me till it dies :) Cheers,

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I had a '92 a couple of years ago but had to sell it. Wished I had it back as I could nail Geddy Lee's tone with it dead on. Great bass, thought the Lace Sensors were a little noisy but liked it in that it had more low end than a standard Jazz due to the active electronics.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Warren,

The Jazz Plus line was manufatured from the late 1980's ('88?) to 1994, but if your bass has a pickguard, I believe you may have one of the "Deluxe" Jazz's introduced as a replacement for the Plus line - Jazz Plus' have no pickguard. Does your bass look anything like this (downsized body, 3-knob active setup):

[​IMG]

4. HI,
    Nice bass, however different than mine. Mine has a similar body shape, i.e. downsized, longer upper horn, it also has a smaller scratch plate, but standard american pickups. It does have a different tone control I think. The one with the notch half way and above it is a boost. Its a beautiful bass that I also thought may have been a delux, but I thought the delux series had active pickups?
    Any ideas. I'll get a pictures soon. Don't have a digital so it will take a few days.
    What about the serial number. If I sent it off to Fender I suppose they could shed more light on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Warren

5. Warren Booth, your Jazz sounds like a US Standard Jazz from around 92/93.
    22frets, altered body shape but still with a pickguard, passive electronics (with standard pickups with exposed polepieces as opposed to Lace sensors) TBX tone control (with centre notch).

It's similar to the modifications Fender did to the Precision with the precision plus bass (I have one) from the same era.

6. How long did they make them for. I would love to get another as I love the altered body shape.
    Cheers,

7. in "The Bass Book" it says "88-current" which I take to mean they kept making it up until the new American Standard Jazz and Precisions (with 20 frets, graphite reinforced necks and thru-body stringing) came in around 1994.

Nicky Wire of the Manic Sreet Preachers' main bass used to be a 22fret standard Jazz.