1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz - Pots question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nendo, Mar 28, 2015.

1. nendo

nendo

Apr 27, 2007
    I'm loking to upgrade the hardware in my Fender Jazz. First I'm wanting to replace the pickups. I'm looking at the Noiseless N3 Single-Coil Jazz Bass. I need to replace the current pots as they cut in and out of volume when I use them.

My question is, is there anything I need to look out for when choosing pots? I can see there is the 500k and the 250k but I have no idea what difference that actually offers me? I was wondering if someone could shed some light on what differences each offer? and which one is better suited to basses?

2. nendo

nendo

Apr 27, 2007
    Actually instead of making 2 threads, I know the difference between active and passive pickups, but how can I tell if new pickups to be installed are active or passive? the info page doesn't tell me specifically.

Fender N3 Noiseless™ Jazz Bass Pickups | Pickups and Preamps Guitar & Bass Parts | Fender®

I'm guessing that because it's single coil, it may be active?

I'm guessing if I want passive I'll need these instead

Fender Vintage Noiseless™ Jazz Bass Pickups | Pickups and Preamps Guitar & Bass Parts | Fender®

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Most pickups are passive. EMG are one of the few that are true active PICKUPS. To be active, electricity from the battery pass through them as well as the preamp. They won't properly work without a battery.

Most other active systems are an on board preamp that processes the passive signal. The battery power doesn't power the pickup. The pickups work fine if the battery is dead but the preamp doesn't.

The term passive pickups is used incorrectly all the time. The majority of the time you see a passive pickup(a) with the on board (active) preamp.

Both pickups you have linked are passive.

If you add a preamp, many come with the proper pots and wire harness. Some are designed to work with the existing pots.

Passive Jazz basses usually use 250k pots. 500k will pass through a touch more of the high frequencies into the output.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. nendo

nendo

Apr 27, 2007
    Thank you!

5. nendo

nendo

Apr 27, 2007
    So what does a 250k No Load Potentiometer and a 250k potentiometer? From what i've read and understand it is that at full control the potentiometer is essentially bypassed, giving the full unaltered signal? is that correct?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this which explains it perfectly

GuitarElectronics.com - Guitar Wiring FAQs

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  6. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    Maybe your pots just need to be cleaned. Many scratchy controls or even total dropouts have been revived with a shot of electronic contact cleaner.

7. Increasing resistance will give you just a touch more high end. Don't overthink it, however, as the difference is subtle. You should probably replace your pots with whatever you currently have.