Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz sound help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bkchang79, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I recently picked up a MIJ 75 RI jazz bass that came with EMG-J pickups and the sound isn't for me. I feel that the EMGs on the Jazz were trebley and can't get the low end and warmth I want. I do like the snap it gives me when I pluck the strings. I was thinking about getting a J-retro anyways so I think the bass boost will give me some low-end back, but I kind of want to do everything right the first time. What pickups add bottom end, warmth, crisp highs? I'm using my jazz as a slap, funk, bebop, misc. jazz, some rock.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If you are planning to get a J-Retro anyway, I'd suggest Barts, Lindi Fralins or Aeros. Barts really have warmth and good bottom, but (IMO) need a preamp to become agressive enough for some kinds of music. Lindis and Aeros will get you that classic, vintage sound, and J-Retro would allow them to cover other stuff as well. Just make sure your bass is shielded properly if you opt for single coils.