Fender Jazz Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillMason, Dec 29, 2007.

1. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
  2. I THINK it's passive - It's been a long time, but I had a friend who played one of these and I never saw a battery compartment, and never remember him having to change a battery or anything..

edit - the more I think about it, there might have been a battery inside the control cavity accessible from the back.

I'll see if I can find out for sure..

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    My sources say passive. However you could shoot an email to Fender Customer Support and they will tell you for sure. They are quite responsive to inquiries.

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The Jazz Bass Special made in Japan in the mid 1980's is passive. (I owned one for many years). Volume-Volume-Tone knobs with a pickup selector P(neck)-both-J(bridge) and the first volume knob acts as a master and controls both pickups. It has recently been re-issued as a "Duff McKagan" version, although I'm unsure where it is made. The Power Jazz Bass Special is active, I believe, and is probably the one remembered with the battery compartment. :)

5. Yeah, I got confirmation back too that the bass was passive.

My friend actually put an active preamp in later on, which explains my memory of the battery!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021