1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz: Standard vs. Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bearclaws, Jun 13, 2002.

1. bearclaws

bearclaws

Mar 5, 2002
    I am interested in purchasing a Fender Jazz bass; however, I am not sure if I like the Standard or Deluxe better.

Does anyone have any experience playing both?

Any recommendations?

How about recommended Jazz/amp combinations for great tone?

Thanks,
    BC

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It all depends on what you like better. The Standard J has passive electronics while the Deluxe J is active.

I haven't really a/b'd the Standard and the Deluxe, but for what it's worth, I compared the Deluxe with a Fernandes Jazz (One that comes with Seymour Duncans standard) and I liked it better than the deluxe. Mind you, I'm a retro Fender junkie so YMMV.

3. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I a/b'd the American Series with the American Deluxe and went with the series. The Deluxe sounded thin and plinky to me. The AS had a nice low mid grunt that was just perfect.
    I have played an FMT and the 18v pre is a BIG improvement over the standard deluxe pre. You could always get an AS and upgrade it with a J-Retro later on.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Bear,

I'd go with the Standard (American or Mex, whichever is in your budget) and add a J-Retro.

Bones

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried both and prefer the Standard so I bought one. I'm not a big fan of active EQ, especially on a Fender Jazz Bass, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

6. That's the ticket, for sure.

I'm doing a set of DiMarzio Model J and J-Retro in my MIM J fretless.

7. bearclaws

bearclaws

Mar 5, 2002
    Thanks for the input!

I played a few J-basses over the weekend and am sold on the passive (standard).

I also played a few P-basses and was almost won over by a banged up '72 ... but might have to put that on the wish list.

Lastly, I picked up a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and this thing is amazing!!! I've never heard my old bass sound so good with such little effort. I highly recommend this piece of gear - especially to those who do a lot of recording. Great unit.

8. I had a std jazz for a while, but due to the poor installation of the tuners ( BIG gap between tuningpost and wood ), the humming and a small crack in the neck i returned it after 2 weeks.

9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Isn't a bass (Am Deluxe) run without any EQ adjustments essentially a passive bass at that point?

There is a difference between active electronics and active pickups. To my knowledge, most bass pickups, Fender's included, are passive pickups, with a pre-amp. When no EQ is added, or cut, the system is running in passive mode.

-pd

10. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think the new American Deluxe's come with an 18 volt pre now.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No. There's still a preamp increasing the gain and almost always subtly coloring the output.
    Incorrect. When no EQ is added or cut the preamp is not bypassed. Some active basses have a way to switch the preamp off and run in true passive mode, my old Peavey Dyna-Bass had this ability.

Also, the Deluxe has completely different pickups (humbucking) so even if it was wired truly passive it would sound different.

12. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I wonder if annyone has both a American Std, and Deluxe and has A/B'd them. They can't be that different...

-pd