Fender Jazz: Standard vs. Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bearclaws, Jun 13, 2002.

1. bearclaws

Mar 5, 2002
    I am interested in purchasing a Fender Jazz bass; however, I am not sure if I like the Standard or Deluxe better.

Does anyone have any experience playing both?

Any recommendations?

How about recommended Jazz/amp combinations for great tone?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It all depends on what you like better. The Standard J has passive electronics while the Deluxe J is active.

I haven't really a/b'd the Standard and the Deluxe, but for what it's worth, I compared the Deluxe with a Fernandes Jazz (One that comes with Seymour Duncans standard) and I liked it better than the deluxe. Mind you, I'm a retro Fender junkie so YMMV.
  3. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I a/b'd the American Series with the American Deluxe and went with the series. The Deluxe sounded thin and plinky to me. The AS had a nice low mid grunt that was just perfect.
    I have played an FMT and the 18v pre is a BIG improvement over the standard deluxe pre. You could always get an AS and upgrade it with a J-Retro later on.
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

I'd go with the Standard (American or Mex, whichever is in your budget) and add a J-Retro.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried both and prefer the Standard so I bought one. I'm not a big fan of active EQ, especially on a Fender Jazz Bass, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
  6. That's the ticket, for sure.

I'm doing a set of DiMarzio Model J and J-Retro in my MIM J fretless.
  7. bearclaws

Mar 5, 2002
    Thanks for the input!

I played a few J-basses over the weekend and am sold on the passive (standard).

I also played a few P-basses and was almost won over by a banged up '72 ... but might have to put that on the wish list.

Lastly, I picked up a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and this thing is amazing!!! I've never heard my old bass sound so good with such little effort. I highly recommend this piece of gear - especially to those who do a lot of recording. Great unit.
  8. I had a std jazz for a while, but due to the poor installation of the tuners ( BIG gap between tuningpost and wood ), the humming and a small crack in the neck i returned it after 2 weeks.
  9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    Isn't a bass (Am Deluxe) run without any EQ adjustments essentially a passive bass at that point?

There is a difference between active electronics and active pickups. To my knowledge, most bass pickups, Fender's included, are passive pickups, with a pre-amp. When no EQ is added, or cut, the system is running in passive mode.

10. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think the new American Deluxe's come with an 18 volt pre now.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No. There's still a preamp increasing the gain and almost always subtly coloring the output.
    Incorrect. When no EQ is added or cut the preamp is not bypassed. Some active basses have a way to switch the preamp off and run in true passive mode, my old Peavey Dyna-Bass had this ability.

Also, the Deluxe has completely different pickups (humbucking) so even if it was wired truly passive it would sound different.
  12. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    I wonder if annyone has both a American Std, and Deluxe and has A/B'd them. They can't be that different...