1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Truss-Rod Problem # 2978274110

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MichiBass, Dec 28, 2006.

1. I have a Fender HWY 1 Jazz (the old one) for about one year right now.
    Since I have it, i set it up for about 5-6 times. I had buzz on the last frets, and decided to straighten the neck more. The relief at the 8th fret was about the thickness of a credit card, and I decided to make it smaller. I turned my truss-rod a quarter turn, everything worked great, but within 2-3 weeks my neck started to bend back to it's initial relief, and STOPPED THERE. I did it again, and the same problem...

Any advice?
    Can the truss-rod be broken? It works very fine, I don't have to put up effort, and it has effect on the relief, just it goes back...
    Is it just because the wood is not dryed out completly and because the bass is relative new?
    What should I do?

Thanks a lot, and excuse my english. :p

2. Yes, but I don't know anybody here in Romania who can do this...

I could do it :ninja:

3. The weather is fine... No changes, and I left my bass at home, didn't change anything...

4. Well, I checked it, and it's OK now, it doesen't go back...
    Let's see what happens after getting it out, it's winter here...
    Thanks for the replies!

5. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    Your bass is quite young now, so may be that's only that the adjusting nut/rod hasn't settle it's place yet.
    if it makes sense... you know, there's wood surrounding them, so it may take some time to be allright.

I mean, in some cases it could be normal.
    and of course, the weather, which was mentioned.
    I have to adjust my trussrod back and forth sometimes weekly, sometimes once in a half year because of this.

edit: hey! you're EU member too, now, right?

6. Update!

After several adjustments I lowered my tuning one step down to hear where the buzz is. And now I have buzz on the first frets (1-6) and the last ones (15+). What should I do now?

7. Yes, yes, we are! :hyper: That means NO customs anymore => cheaper GEAR :hyper:

8. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    buzz on the first frets? I think you should loosen the truss rod, to give it a bit bow. then see what happens, some bridge adjustments can be neccessary too.

9. Tuned back, and the buzz on the first frets is gone, but still available on the last ones.......... :crying:

10. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    yeah, that's it! :)
    we're enjoying that for a couple of years now :)

11. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    i think it's because the higher tension bent the neck a little bit more (similar effect as you had loosen the rod a bit as I've suggested), but the bridge saddles are a bit still too low.

maybe that would help: http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

12. Well, he sais on his site:

How much is too much?

The quickest way to tell if the right amount of relief is in your neck is to lower the strings.

If after lowering the strings, the notes buzz only above the 12th fret, then there's too much bow in the neck. You'll need to tighten the truss rod.

If after you lower the strings, the notes only buzz in the 1st 5 frets then your neck is too straight. You'll need to loosen the truss rod.

If after you lower the strings, the notes buzz all up and down the neck, the neck's fine. Your strings are just too low.

But I had buzz on BOTH 1-5 and above 12 :|

13. I guess this shimming is my problem, but I can't adjust it. I mean, I have no shimming adjustment like on the 70'ies...

14. You mean that I could have a shim without an adjustment hole on the neck plate?

I remember seeing a HWY 1 jazz neck on ebay, and it had something there...

15. Now, I'll have to unscrew my neck :eek:

16. After making the neck perfectly straight 2 months ago, it got back to the "starting relief" (but not more) after 3-5 days, and stays there for 1-2 months.
    I can't understand this.
    Why is it always going back?
    I traveled with it, but when it went back to initial relief I had it at constant temeprature / humidity.
    Also, I went to rehersals this month a lot, and it didn't moved at al.

Strange...

17. And it's still buzzing on my last frets...

Please help me...

18. Another update. Several months after 1st post.
    The SAME problem. I make the neck straight, and it comes back at the SAME relief, and stoppes there. Very strange. I mean, I can fix it once a month, no problem. But WHY?

19. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    It might be because its a Fender. They always seem to need some adjustment IME. The great thing is the adjustments seem to work for a while. 1-2 months in your situation.

I'm a tinker guy so I'm always taking my bass apart, for better or for worse.

20. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Raise the bridge saddles until the buzzing goes away.

If the neck needs shimming, the bridge saddles will be all the way down as low as the adjustment screws will go, but the action will still be too high. A shim does no more nor less than bring the saddle adjustments into range.

Buzzing on just the last frets is a bridge height problem if the adjustment screws for saddle height are in their normal range.

No need to make it complicated. Simply turn the saddle height screws clockwise until the buzz clears up. If you have been adjusting the relief to correct a buzzing problem on the highest frets, you have been adjusting the wrong thing, so you may have to correct any mis adjustment that you now have in the relief.

So far as the relief changing, give the neck at least a few months to completely stabilize.

Josh, I completely agree with you about the Willis setup site. I can point out several errors there.