1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz U shaped necks - what years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbud2003, Feb 23, 2006.

1. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I recently picked up a '75 Jazz (4 bolt) with a maple fretboard. It has quite a chunckier neck than I have seen on a Fender Jazz Bass. I read somewhere that this is known as a "U" shaped jazz neck. Is that correct? If so, what years was this neck in production?

One other question, I thought that by 1975 all Jazz basses were 3 bolts. Is this just a transition bass? I could not read the neck date but it did have a "Herb G." stamp on it.

2. The Fender Custom Shop is currently producing a 1970 Jazz Bass with a "U" shaped neck. No idea what years it was in production, but I'd be interested to know as well.

The Vintage Guitars Info. Website says the transition to a 3-bolt micro-tilt neck was late '73, but I've seen a few '74 4-bolts. I've also played a 1978 Jazz that was converted from a 3-bolt to a 4.

3. That would be my first thought too. Are you sure the neck hasn't been replaced?

4. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    It doesn't look like the body had a 3 bolt on it before. It has a 4 bolt neck plate (with the F on it) with a 61xxx serial number. I'm not at home to get the exact number. Also, the neck plate has a black rubber plate beneath it.

5. 61xxxx is a '75 serial number and assuming the numbers went consecutively by production it's earlier in the year as 1975 is 58xxxx-69xxxx. Could it be a 4-bolt '75? Or the neck plate could be from a 1975 Precision? Do you have pictures of the bass?

Here is a '74 4-bolt with Herb G. on the neck:
    http://www.goodguysguitars.com/inventory/00215bfenj74blk/template1a.htm