Fender Jazz U shaped necks - what years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbud2003, Feb 23, 2006.

1. rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I recently picked up a '75 Jazz (4 bolt) with a maple fretboard. It has quite a chunckier neck than I have seen on a Fender Jazz Bass. I read somewhere that this is known as a "U" shaped jazz neck. Is that correct? If so, what years was this neck in production?

One other question, I thought that by 1975 all Jazz basses were 3 bolts. Is this just a transition bass? I could not read the neck date but it did have a "Herb G." stamp on it.
  2. The Fender Custom Shop is currently producing a 1970 Jazz Bass with a "U" shaped neck. No idea what years it was in production, but I'd be interested to know as well.

The Vintage Guitars Info. Website says the transition to a 3-bolt micro-tilt neck was late '73, but I've seen a few '74 4-bolts. I've also played a 1978 Jazz that was converted from a 3-bolt to a 4.
  3. That would be my first thought too. Are you sure the neck hasn't been replaced?
  4. rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    It doesn't look like the body had a 3 bolt on it before. It has a 4 bolt neck plate (with the F on it) with a 61xxx serial number. I'm not at home to get the exact number. Also, the neck plate has a black rubber plate beneath it.
  5. 61xxxx is a '75 serial number and assuming the numbers went consecutively by production it's earlier in the year as 1975 is 58xxxx-69xxxx. Could it be a 4-bolt '75? Or the neck plate could be from a 1975 Precision? Do you have pictures of the bass?

Here is a '74 4-bolt with Herb G. on the neck: