1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz USA DLX 5 control plate exchange.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockin John, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Hello folks.

I'm considering removing the control plate and electronics from my bass, and replacing it with a passive control plate + controls (that are available from auction sites and guitar parts dealers).

I wondered, first, whether there are any electronics issues with this idea and, second, whether the regular Jazz contol plate will fit properly where the old one came from without requiring body routing or showing gaps, etc.

Any wisdom much appreciated.

Thanks.

John

2. It shouldn't. I bought a "longhorn" style pickguard from Jeanie's, and they had already applied copper foil to the underside of the guard for grounding the pots. Only issue is, prefer not to ground the jack to the guard, just the pots. No other issues EXCEPT now if you need to access the wiring, strings have to come off to clear the guard on removal.

P1010159small.

It looks bad to me to have a chrome tail on the gaurd, asthetically. I like the old style one piece MUCH better.