Fender Jazz: USA or Mexico

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassfrog, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Bassfrog

Jun 2, 2002
    What are the exact differences between a Fender Jazz from Mexico or from the U.S.? I know that the wages are lower in Mexico. But what exactly declares the difference in price? Right here in The Netherlands a USA bass is incredible expensive.
    I am doubting to afford a Mexican Standard 5 string Fender Jazz passive next to my Warwick Corvette

I also heard that a U.S one becomes better and a Mexican becomes worser. Is that right?
  2. The electronics are definately better on the U.S.A. ones. Everything isn't constructed as well on the Mexican ones. The U.S.A. ones do get better, treated well of course. I haven't heard about the Mexican ones getting *worse* though.
  3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Here are the differences I'm aware of:
    1. Graphite neck reinforcement
    2. Better hardware
    3. Better electronics
    4. Shielded
    5. Hard Case
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In addition to the above....

USA wood: Alder
    MIM wood: Poplar

USA: String through body bridge (optional on Deluxe)
    MIM: Top load bridge.

I've had MIM Jazz and they're fine instruments. Mine needed some adjustment in the neck on a regular basis, but it was great. The pickups sounded great, I replaced them with Duncans, but regretted it as the Duncans didn't sound better. The MIM is a fine bass.

My MIM Jazz had an incredible paint job. Like glass.
  5. Dont forget MIJ, they are up there with MIAs.
  6. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Actually the MIM's are made from alder also.
  7. Hey.. my MIM Deluxe Jazzbass V does the trick perfectly for me :D

such sweet tone.. :D
  8. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    PhilBiker does not know anything about Fenders.
    The Jazz Basses whether MIA or MIM are made of Alder. Differences are minor except for Pickups.

Reinforced Neck is not Important. Most 5 Strings and even 6 strings are not Graphite Reinforced.

Also, You can update the MIM and have a better sounding Bass then an MIA and still save much more money...
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The tone of your post is pretty rude. Phil is a respected member who has been here for almost 2 years.

You are right about the MIM's now being made of alder, but this just changed. Up through 2001, they were made of poplar.

It's fine to correct people if they give inaccurate information, but you do not gain credibility by attacking established members of the community.
  10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oops! It appears my information was outdated! How embarrasing.... :)
    I've owned and gigged with both MIM and MIA Fenders. I do not agree with this as a blanket statement. The MIMs are -very- good for the money and quite serviceable and giggable instruments right out of the box.

Some individual examples are exceptional. The active ones in particular have the same pickups and electronics as the MIAs and are very competitive. However, some MIM Fenders are not great. The necks in particular do not have the solid feel of the MIAs. IMO of course.

Once you've updated the bridge, puckups, and tuners (for 4 string models - the 5 string ones have the same tuners as the MIAs) to MIA equivalents, you're spending a lot of money. And IMO there's nothing wrong with the bridge, pickups, or tuners on the MIM basses. I had a MIM Jazz and updated the pickups with Basslines Quarter Pounders, the bridge with a Badass, the strat knobs with vintage Jazz style ones, and the ill-fitting stock white pickguard with a blue pearloid one from Jeannie's Pickguards:
    It turned out great, but the upgrade expense was not trivial, and honestly it was no "better" than stock, just different.

Personally I like both. I currently own this MIA Jazz V (without the pearloid pickguard - I've gone back tot eh original Fender white):
    But I miss the old 4 string hot rod Mexican Jazzer even though I had to tweak the neck every 4 months.
  11. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Sorry if I offended you Philbiker, but I speak the truth. If it looks to me as if you don't know what you are talking bout then I will state that and explain my point.

The way it sounded to me on 2 of the post that you wrote about the MIM would basically make people stray away even though its the MIM really is not a bad bass especially for the price and its upgradeability.

To the Moderator(embellisher)
    I don't make responses to msg's just because you are or are not a "veteran". I only comment if I know the Info I am Commenting about.

I believe if properly installed, then your aftermarket pickups should have sounded excellent.Especially those Basslines.

Im sorry also, if the response I stated sounded like a "blanket statement". I do understand that its possible to get a crusty Fender no matter where its made, just like with any other Guitar Manufacturer..
  12. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Again, sorry Phil. Also I like the look of your Jazz Bass on top (nice Upgrades)..You do seem like a Cool Guy.:cool: :):rolleyes:
  13. Poplar isn't that bad of a wood anyway. To me, it's sorta like alder, but somewhat brighter, and maybe less lows.

Alot of the pre-upgraded MIM's I played were ok, but from time to time, some were way better than MIA's.

Some people may like the Basslines, while others may not. It's the same thing as far as anything goes. Some people love Fender's while others despise them. While I agree that Basslines are great pickups, I can't agree that just cause you have upgraded doesn't mean that the original can't sound good as well.
  14. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree withyou whole Heartedly...
  15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, all I can say is that you may want to work on your reading comprehension. I personally don't see anything that I wrote that "would basically make people stray away even though its the MIM really is not a bad bass". Care to enlighten me?
    The Basslines did sound excellent. But so did the original Fender Stock pickups.
    Well, your original post didn't really offend me much, but this one certainly does. How is it "the truth" that "PhilBiker does not know anything about Fenders."??

Not sure we're serving the original post any more so I'll quit here.

arendjan, in summary, the MIM basses are an exceptional bargain. If you shop around and get a good one it can be a really fine instrument for you. However, some of the components are not going to be quite as "high quality" as with a USA made instrument. Nonetheless, he MIM pieces are definitely good enough and will work just fine. Personally I'd buy another MIM Jazz if I didn't have the green custom Jazz in my avatar.

The USA Jazzes are, on the whole, better quality instruments. If the finer points of "quality" such as heavier duty tuners, bridge, string though body, and such, mean a lot to you then it may be worth it for you to save up and buy a USA bass. Look on the Talkbass forum for more threads ont he subject, there are many.

I've owned and gigged with both so I do know something about the subject.

Lastly, have you consirered any of the Made in Japan Fenders? IMO they are as good as the USA basses in every way - but at a much lower price.
  16. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    You must not know anything about talkbass rules :rolleyes: :mad:
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For the record, MIM Jazz basses are not necessarily a bad thing. In the case of mine, I had a high fret when I first bought mine. I took it into the repair shop and they fixed it right up by leveling the frets. Then they told me they actually had seen more problems with MIA necks than MIM necks.

But, that was just the repair shop's opinion.;)
  18. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    PhilBiker, I was going by the statement you said

USA wood: Alder
    MIM wood: Poplar

Pick-ups: $150
    Audiophile grade wire: $50
    new pots: $20
    New Bridge: $100

You've got money in your pocket but you're still left with the cheap Poplar body, cheap tuners, and questionable neck.
    Sorry bout coming out harsh. But again I felt as though you didn't know what you were talking.

This is my last time saying sorry. I feel as though I've explained myself good enough..

PS:Notice I said felt instead of feel and didn't instead of don't..
  19. *sigh*

He was talking about the pre-upgraded models, jeez.

By the by, USA Fender's have ash bodies also, but maybe you didn't know that. :rolleyes:
  20. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Actually snaggletooth, I now know that Philbiker didn't know that and another member corrected him. Also, I did know about the Ash Body on some of the natural and 2 tone finishes.