Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz V American & American Deluxe... body shape different?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonwb, Jul 12, 2005.

1. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    I could be wrong here but when I look at these two instruments, they look different to me... especially where the neck it fitted to the body. The lower horn on the American Jazz looks "thicker". And the two dot markers on the neck intersect at different points of the body. Overall, the AM Jazz looks smoother in style, although this could be the finish.

Am I correct? Did Fender design these slightly different? (American left, American Deluxe right)

Attached Files:

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, you're right. I have both and the deluxe is like a 7/8 sized body compared to the standard. I prefer the look of the larger body.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Dlx bass has a smaller body to offset the longer 22 fret neck. The basses are the same length. The dlx necks imho have a nicer profile :)

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The deluxe jazzes have 2 more frets on the neck, so the body is '2 frets' smaller. I don't like the look of the tiny pickguard on the deluxe, it looks out of place. If they made the pickguard more proportional, it would look alot nicer IMO.

5. i prefer the look of the deluxe. just my opinion though.

6. It's a smaller body to compensate for the added 2 frets. Personally, the larger body looks better by itself, but the deluxe looks great when someone's playing it - a more modern proportion, the neck looking longer with the body a bit smaller and fatter. Both are beautiful.

7. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Electronically, does the Deluxe version surpass the regular version? Worth the extra money? I'm looking at these and Laklands now.... thanks!

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I wound up having Sadowsky Electronics installed in both my Deluxe and Stardard Vs. I did the passive one 1st and it turned out so nice that I did the deluxe too. Also, I relly didn't care for the mid control or control layout on the deluxe. My Fendowskys kick ass. :)

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The new deluxes with SCN pickups and the 18v preamp are amazing sounding. A very warm, vintagey type tone but with the ability to achieve modern sounds. I was going to go passive at 1st but you can't get a Maple FB on the passive versions only Pao Ferro. I went for the deluxe just because of the Maple FB and found that I love the active electronics. Set completely flat the bass sounds like a nice warm jazz but with the expected clarity of a jazz. To me it was definitely worth the extra $$.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [fernando lamas] I am a man who knows what I like. The Fender Deluxe Jazz is a bass for the man who knows what I like. [/fernando lamas]

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I actually prefer the American Deluxe, no doubt owning to my general preference for smaller bodies as a smaller-bodied man. :scowl: