1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz V Neck profile/string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J0hn, May 18, 2018.

1. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Just pulled a big nono in terms of feeding my GAS- I bought a Jazz V online having never touched one... I found a really good price on a fairly new one with some cosmetic damage. I've been really wanting to add a 5 string to my collection and I'm a Fender guy so I just pulled the trigger.

So having never tried one, how does the neck feel compared to say a older P bass? My favorite necks I've played are some of the older P basses with the really wide necks and I've never really cared for the feel of Jazz necks. I know this is not a popular opinion- they just feel like twigs to me- so I'm hoping this is cured by the wider neck of the V. I have really big hands and I feel cramped playing low on some of the 1.5" or smaller necks.

Thanks for reading.

2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Fender Jazz V necks are around 1.8-1.85" wide at the nut and are kind of flat and shallow. You should be fine after some 5 string adjustment time.

J0hn likes this.
  3. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Great. Flat and shallow is what I want to hear. Sounds just like my favorite P.