Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender jazz V plus bartolini = Pedulla?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chasarms, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I recently played a Pedulla Jazz bass with Barts in it and was overwelmed by the tone. It had all the inherent goodness of a jazz bass plus much better clarity in the low end and excellent B string response.

My two players right now are a G&L L2500 and a MIA Fender Deluxe Jazz V. The G&L is perfect for me as it is, but I am really wanting that Tone the the Pedulla was giving me. My first thought was to trade the Fender for the Pedulla. Or sell it and buy the Pedulla. But I have a soft spot in my heart for the Fender. It plays sooo good and is broke in for me.

My question is this: If I slapped a set of Barts in the Jazz, would I get something similiar to what the Pedulla was giving me? I am the first to admit inconsistancy with Fender, but this one really is put together well. Slick finish, tight joint and a great neck. But the B string is whimpy. I have played it unplugged with my ear to the bass and hear much more to the B than comes out of my amp. I know is isn't the rig, because the L2500 B string rumbles the ground with my amp.

The B string also has a great feel as it does not seem loose and floppy. It just has a significantly lower output than the others.

So, will a set of Barts renew my love affair with the Jazz? OR am I wishful thinking?

chas

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I went the other way...kept the stock pickups (mine's a 1997) and changed the preamp, a J-Retro. I've been pleased, to say the least:)

I like Barts, I may try them in my other JD5.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Chas, if your B string seems pretty taut, I believe that putting the Barts in it may indeed give you the sound that you are looking for.

I have a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 stringer, and it sounds like a great Jazz 5 string on steroids to my ears.

The bass has a good B string, but I believe that the good electronics contribute to the output and clarity of the B as well.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Interesting. Any thoughts on what might make the most difference? Swapping out the PUs or the preamp? I may end up changing out both.

5. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
  6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Chas,

I'm right there with you. My MIA J Dlx. 5 B feels right, but just doesn't produce. Additionally, I also have a J-Retro Deluxe installed. I'm a bit torn on what to do.

After buying my Series II, it's pretty hard to play any other bass. In fact, I put the J up for sale on eBay a couple of times, but didn't get the right bid. Then, the other night I took it out of the case, and played it un-amped, and it's a great feeling bass. Plugged it in, same whimpy B. I'm somewhat of the opinion that the Noiseless P/U's might be a hit or miss deal, and I missed. I think I'm considering going the Bart route.

I'd love to hear about a success story before I sink more money into this bass.

Best Wishes,
    Bones