Fender jazz V plus bartolini = Pedulla?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chasarms, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I recently played a Pedulla Jazz bass with Barts in it and was overwelmed by the tone. It had all the inherent goodness of a jazz bass plus much better clarity in the low end and excellent B string response.

My two players right now are a G&L L2500 and a MIA Fender Deluxe Jazz V. The G&L is perfect for me as it is, but I am really wanting that Tone the the Pedulla was giving me. My first thought was to trade the Fender for the Pedulla. Or sell it and buy the Pedulla. But I have a soft spot in my heart for the Fender. It plays sooo good and is broke in for me.

My question is this: If I slapped a set of Barts in the Jazz, would I get something similiar to what the Pedulla was giving me? I am the first to admit inconsistancy with Fender, but this one really is put together well. Slick finish, tight joint and a great neck. But the B string is whimpy. I have played it unplugged with my ear to the bass and hear much more to the B than comes out of my amp. I know is isn't the rig, because the L2500 B string rumbles the ground with my amp.

The B string also has a great feel as it does not seem loose and floppy. It just has a significantly lower output than the others.

So, will a set of Barts renew my love affair with the Jazz? OR am I wishful thinking?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I went the other way...kept the stock pickups (mine's a 1997) and changed the preamp, a J-Retro. I've been pleased, to say the least:)

I like Barts, I may try them in my other JD5.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Chas, if your B string seems pretty taut, I believe that putting the Barts in it may indeed give you the sound that you are looking for.

I have a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 stringer, and it sounds like a great Jazz 5 string on steroids to my ears.

The bass has a good B string, but I believe that the good electronics contribute to the output and clarity of the B as well.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Interesting. Any thoughts on what might make the most difference? Swapping out the PUs or the preamp? I may end up changing out both.
  5. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
  6. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

I'm right there with you. My MIA J Dlx. 5 B feels right, but just doesn't produce. Additionally, I also have a J-Retro Deluxe installed. I'm a bit torn on what to do.

After buying my Series II, it's pretty hard to play any other bass. In fact, I put the J up for sale on eBay a couple of times, but didn't get the right bid. Then, the other night I took it out of the case, and played it un-amped, and it's a great feeling bass. Plugged it in, same whimpy B. I'm somewhat of the opinion that the Noiseless P/U's might be a hit or miss deal, and I missed. I think I'm considering going the Bart route.

I'd love to hear about a success story before I sink more money into this bass.

Best Wishes,