Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz V replacements?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Goretopsy, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    What pickups out there would directly replace a MIM Fender Standard Jazz V, I'm planing on some new p.u's (perferably passive and non-exposed poles) to go along with a j-retro preamp. Also does anyone know where I could get a new pickguard? It seems like no one sells or makes 5 string J bass pickguards. But back to pickups so far I'm looking at the bartolini's which are direct for the jazz and aero (but i dont know how much those cost), kent armstrong (but they don't have specs so i dont know if their 4 string would work in a 5), and emg would fit but I dont want any extra routing for another battery. If some one could help me out here I'd be very thankful.

2. SpeeDFX

SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Gerotopsy, I just ordered a Fender Jazz Standard V, is there somethign wrong with the pickups? (wondering why you want to change it), but what do I know, this is my first bass :- P.

To answer your question about the pickgaurd, I was wondering the same thing yesturday, and voit la! pickguards.com, they have just about EVERY possible pickgaurd for brand name basses...in almost every possible design and color, hehe.

3. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    nothin really wrong with the pickups i just dont like pole pieces cuz im very agressive at my bands shows and if the string touches the pole it makes a loud pop which annoys the hell out of me so id rather not worry about it

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you play that hard lower the pickup... and turn your amp up.

5. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i also have a MIM 5 string jazz bass ,i have checked all over the internet for replacement pickups, seymore duncan sells a "ultra jazz" pickup BUT you will have to do some modifying to make fit,EMG's wont work to small,carvin also makes a jazz style pickup they say its a direct replacement? as far as the pickguard goes most likely you will have to have one made or send the pickguard company a "tracing" of what you have.the standard fender jazz pickguard wont work. if anyone locates where they can buy active pickups for their MIM 5-string ,please email me all i have been able to locate is passive. :confused:

6. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    what were the passive you found all i can find is aero and bartolini (i dont like carvin p/us too much) i was looking at the hot stack by duncan basslines cuz if the bridge is the right size just buy two bridges and it wouldnt hum since they are humbuckers...right?

7. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    if you look closely at he "neck' pickup on your MIM fender 5 string ,its slightly smaller than the "bridge" pickup,so if you buy 2 same pickups most likely you will have to do some cutting to the pickguard?? i wonder if you could buy direct from fender cause they make a "active" style 5 string jazz bass? do a google search for seymore duncan,dmarzio,carvin,etc. they all have websites to check out. good-luck...

8. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    Bartolini makes replacements for this size, they’re the “7-“ series, where the 4-string sized pickups are the “9-“ series. You might give them a try! I think Aero Instrument also makes these pickups, and they’re purported to be great – they’re original equipment in some Fodera basses.
    i was emailed this from warmoth bass.

9. A pickgaurd for a MIA Fender will fit the MIM perfectly - other then the little cutout for the truss rod. I think they're around $23 at pickguards.com.

Keep us posted as to your search for pickups...

10. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Hi Chaindog,

Do I understand this correctly that the MIA pickguard will fit a MIM with Ultra Jazzes?

PaulYeah