1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz Volume Control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckdhaven, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

Jul 19, 2012
    Cedar Rapids IA
    My 2011 Fender American Jazz has two volume controls... One for each pick up...

The front pick up volume knob doesn't "do much" until about 75% the it REALLY TAKES OFF>>>

75% = about 40% volume..

This makes the last 25% of adjustment really touchy... Does anyone else have the same issue? If so, is it normal or should I have it changed?

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    My custom P-bass has the same issue. But i found out that doesn't make much difference.

3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Very typical for a passive jaws bass. No need to change anything. In time you will adjust to it.

4. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    change them to linear pots

5. Same problem on my cheap-o Yammie. Blew my ears out a couple of times and now I'm very, very careful :D

6. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

Jul 19, 2012
    Cedar Rapids IA
    What is a linear pot? And what is in the bass as a standard?

7. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    A linear pot runs smoothly from 0 to (say) 250K, so halfway around it will have half the resistance, 125K.

A log or audio pot will much more quickly lose resistance as you turn it. Halfway around on the CTS log 250K pot I happen to have in front of me reads 28K.

There is debate over which is best for which wiring. And choice of capacitor may affect choice of tone pot taper.

On a two pickup passive like the jazz I use two linear for volumes and log/audio for tone. That was after trying three linears, which made the tone not very useful. All 250k.

8. rogerb

rogerb

Aug 31, 2010
    Standard are the ones you have, not linear. That is normal for a Jazz bass, I wouldn't change anything.

Small adjustments make a big difference when you get past the 2/3rds or 3/4 mark. Both pickup volumes act in the same manner.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Absolutely, dont get lost in mumbo jumbo, totally normal you will figure out cool sweet spots and find a normal factory jazz is very workable.

Easy obvious options are, bridge only or neck only.
    Then both up.
    Then Both up then slightly dim neck (like you said 20 25%) tone changes.
    likewise other way around both up, slightly dim bridge , tone changes. Between those 5 settings are easiest to dial in real quick. the last variable is adding more or less of the tone knob to alter those basic 5 positions.

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've noticed it, too, on my Jazz. But, it's ok to me. I usually run with the neck pup at 100% and the bridge pup at about 90%, just to get away from the scooped tone of using both at 100%. Of course, they buzz when both aren't up all the way, but it's not noticeable in a mix.