Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender jazz, volume nobs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scottos150, Dec 19, 2002.

1. How do you take em off? thanks

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I see no one has responded yet so i'll tell you. As long as they don't have a set screw [p-bass style knobs] you can just pry/pull them off. There's a few ways to do this: buy a knob puller from stew mac or not spend money on something you'll use 3 times and take either a pick, credit card, table knife etc anything that you can use to pry it up while doing minimal scaring to the pickguard on it. Just work your way around the edge until it comes off. Hope that helps.

edit: realized that he coulda been talking about real jazz bass knobs, in that case i have no clue.

3. loosen the allen screw

4. Real Jazz bass knobs have a little set screw on the side of them, but if you cant see anything, then they have splined shafts, and are to be found on MIM and late model instruments. As per the previous post, you have to prise them off, but do it very gently as they are easy to break.