Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz vs. Corvette Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    'K, so I went to GC the other day and played some basses. I'm pretty much a P guy and I keep thinking I'm missing something by not playing a Jazz. Tried a few. I wasn't really thrilled. I know that Jazz players like them, and they sound fine and all that, but they just don't feel or sound right in my hands. Then I tried a Corvette Standard, which I think is a cool bass, what with those funky Warwick woods and whatnot. It seems like it should pretty much sound like a Jazz, due to the similar electronic layout. However, I don't find them to be that similar. I've played several on different occasions, and I always like them. The bridge pup sounds basically like the Jazz bridge pup, but the neck pup seems to have a meatier, more solid sound.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

2. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I've noticed this with my 'Vette. The Corvette has much harder woods so the sustain is much better and it has more hi-fi vibe in the low and high frequencies. The neck also feels faster and more 'hi-tech' (like comparing some hi-end ibanez to old strat, not better on all occasions but different). But Corvette ain't good when recording direct. The jazz sits in the mix but the 'vette is a beast to tame and lacks that good ol' midrange honk. Good for fusion or really aggressive stuff though.

3. It has been my experience that if it don't sound and feel right from the start, it never will. Play the bass that gives you your sound. I went to a Paul Simon concert a couple of years ago. Bakathi ( I'm not sure how you spell his name ) was playing a Washburn 4 string fretless. He can have and play any bass he wants and I'm sure that this is not his only bass. Point is that he got HIS SOUND with that bass.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I have to disagree with that. I find that it sits in the mix nicely without much hassle.

The only thing that I find you have to watch out for with the 'Vette, for both recording and live situations, is the tone control. It can be kind of harsh if it is used too much. Otherwise, it is a great bass.

5. For what it's worth, I managed to have a very J-like sound result from my Corvette FNA recorded direct recently. I dunno about the 2-band EQ of the 'vette Proline tho'...and there is also the flame maple vs bubinga debate on that particular model as well, not to mention the wenge vs ovangkol necks and medium vs jumbo frets.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    IME all Warwicks have a definite Warwick sound. Regardless of the PU configuration and the woods, they all seem to have a similar tone. If you liked the Corvette, you may want to try more Warwicks as opposed to more J-style basses of other manufacturers...