Fender Jazz Vs Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass for Beef, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005

So I know theres a huge differnce between a Fender Jazz and a Peavey Cirrus. I love em both but I just cant decide which one to get. I'll eventually own both, i just need to get my priorities traight.
    Also if I went for the cirrus i'm not sure if I want to go with a 4 string or make the jump up from my Sting Ray 5 to a 6 string Cirrus.

PS the Fender I'd be getting is a 67 Jazz...anyone know a better year?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, these two basses are like day and night. They're completely different beasts. There are many other worthy basses in the price range to consider. Play everything you can get your hands on and buy what "speaks to you". That's how I do it.
  3. I tried both and ended up buying the Cirrus 6. It really performs great in slap/ pop , black gospel, christian contemp.

Depending on your feel and your style you might check it out.
    I can dial in some sounds close to a Jazz and/or a Pbass but that came after much experimenting.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll take the Cirrus everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!!
  5. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    ive owned both! its your money!! both are good basses!!
    one thing for sure if you buy any of the 2 basses your asking about ,soon as you use it knock off 40% of what you paid for them new!! correct me !40% on usa fender and about 50% on the Cirrus :crying:
  6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I own both basses: a MIA 99 Fender Jazz and Cirrus 4.
    I consider my Cirrus as "the bass I`ll never sale". The hi-fi tone, versatility and construction are just incredible.
    Besides, it`s the easiest player I`ve ever touched.

However, I`ve been gasing for a traditional Jazz tone for a while. I had the chance to find one for a good price, so I took it. The bass is just amazing. Low action, great for everything (fingerstyle, slap, tapping) something I wasn`t expecting from a traditional bass.

Both basses are completely different tonewise. I still prefer the Jazz for fingerstyle since it`s a bit more agressive, has better mids and less compressed sound.

Just my 2 cents.
  7. ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I own 2 peavey Cirri (4 bangers) and a Geddy Lee Fender Jazz and if I had to choose, i'll keep the Cirrus...by a mile.
    If you could get a Cirrus 6, get it, you won't regret it, they're awesome. I think they are way better than Stingray 5's.