Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz vs. Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gsummer, Feb 11, 2001.

1. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking to buy a new bass and I just wanted to get some opinions from people who have played both Fender J and P basses. Which kind do you like better and why. I know that it is really a matter of personal taste, but I just wanted to hear some other people's opinions. Also, on a more specific note, has anyone played the american hot rodded series? They look interesting to me. As far as the styles of music I play there is a pretty big range. I need something that will work for my Jazz workshop (yep I'm a college student) and also for blues, funk, and a little slap. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I prefer the Jazz to the Precision. I just picked up an American Deluxe Jazz 5 string and think it's a great bass. I believe it's versatility would suit your needs nicely.

Bones

3. The jazz does orthodox slap better than the P because the bridge pickup gives emphasis to the top end.

Other than that, try and see. I play a P. But I don't slap.

Andy

4. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Personally, I prefer the jazz bass. Right now I'm playing an Alvarez with a P-J style pickup configuration. Honestly I don't like the blended sound all that much. I either end up fading it to the P pickup and plaing with a pick to get that green day type sound or putting more emphasis on the J for my slapping, jazz, funk, and pretty much 90% of the stuff I play. Right now I'm looking into buying a Fender Deluxe Active jazz bass mainly because I love active electronics, and it's within my price range. But that's just my opinion.

5. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    thanks for the opinions, that's what i wanted. I'm still wondering whether anyone has tried the fender precsion hot rodded series. also, for you fender jazzers, do you like the active or passive PUs?

6. elan_virpul

elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    hey gsummer,

active pickups are quieter and recording engineers seem to like them better in the studio (well one has. . .)

of course, a p-bass won't buzz, heh, heh. . . and an amp setting to emphasize the treble makes for a nice slap sound.

7. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I have a Y2k Hot Hodded P and Love it. Got it on close out.
    jc

8. B3Nut

B3Nut

Oct 28, 2000
    Central Michigan
    If you're looking for an all-rounder, a Jazz is likely your best bet. If you can find a Geddy Lee signature Jazz Bass (MIJ), that's a really nice bass. The neck is thinner than the Am. Series, you may or may not like it. I thought it was similar in thickness to my MIM Jazz. The GL or the Am. Series is the best bet in the Jazz department, they're quieter than the MIM (although you can replace the pups in the MIM, I have Basslines Quarter Pounders in mine, tho the bridge pup seems a bit weak.) The stock pickups in the MIM Jazz are, to be nice, awful.

However, you can get an MIM P and J for less than either the American or Geddy Less J's cost, and just upgrade the pups in the Jazz. I like the pup in my MIM P, tho I might get a '62 RI pup for it. I keep roundies on the Jazz, and Thomastik Jazz flats on the P.

HTH

TP

9. smpbass

smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    Where do you think I could get a Geddy Lee Bass?

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    not suer if its appropriate to post this here...but, here goes:

i'm selling my Mexi Fender fretless Jazz 4 string.

added EMGs, Badass bridge and mylar sheet over the fretboard.

hardshell case and new strings included.

asking $500.00

fred
    fhodshon@homail.com

11. B3Nut

B3Nut

Oct 28, 2000
    Central Michigan
    If you're looking for an all-rounder, a Jazz is likely your best bet. If you can find a Geddy Lee signature Jazz Bass (MIJ), that's a really nice bass. The neck is thinner than the Am. Series, you may or may not like it. I thought it was similar in thickness to my MIM Jazz. The GL or the Am. Series is the best bet in the Jazz department, they're quieter than the MIM (although you can replace the pups in the MIM, I have Basslines Quarter Pounders in mine, tho the bridge pup seems a bit weak.) The stock pickups in the MIM Jazz are, to be nice, awful.

However, you can get an MIM P and J for less than either the American or Geddy Less J's cost, and just upgrade the pups in the Jazz. I like the pup in my MIM P, tho I might get a '62 RI pup for it. I keep roundies on the Jazz, and Thomastik Jazz Flats on the P.

HTH

TP

12. B3Nut

B3Nut

Oct 28, 2000
    Central Michigan
    >Where do you think I could get a Geddy Lee Bass?

zzounds.com I think had them, it's currently in the Fender line again, and is supposedly going to stay there for the time being.

It's a great deal, though I'd kinda prefer a rosewood fingerboard myself...

TP

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Jazz all the way for me here. The precisions are nice, I just like so many things more about the jazz.

I have one of the Geddy Lee basses, they are nice. I put an active pre-amp in mine(J-Retro) and it kicks serious tail. The neck is unique to that model too, it's flatter.

Unless you find a dealer who has one right now, you might need to wait another month or so before they start coming in stock all over again. I believe that model is in a backorder situation with Fender until March. After that, I bet you can find plenty new ones on the web and such.

Good luck with your purchase. :)

14. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Contact these guys for a good price on a Geddy.

http://www.bassnw.com/

Last I heard they were selling them for $600.

15. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i have an american p and i love it. I like a p-bass for many reasons and i like a jazz bass for many reasons. A p is a bit melower. The jazz is more versatile. Just get a doubleneck bass, one jazz, one p-bass. They are both great basses. My next bass may be a mexi-fretless jazz, but that may be a year!!!

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I prefer the jazz bass over the P bass, for the following reasons...the jazz gives you more tonal options, has a slimmer neck than a P does, the body style is also a bit different and more comfortable for me to play...But the tonal options are the biggest reason, (p bass deluxe comes close to matching) due to have too pickups as well...that humbuker in it really adds to the sound, but i still think the jazz bass has a nicer tone

18. Go with the American Deluxe Jazz bass. They have a beautiful sound. I play an American Jazz Standard but I think the active electronics in the Deluxe would better suit your needs.

19. Adam Clayton

Adam Clayton

Jan 19, 2001
    Well I guess it depends a bit on what music you make - I play both and like the Jazz (a lot) but I LOVE the P . Its a hard thing to put into words but the P feels like a piece of history - although not that much older - it was the first!!

I'm rambling a bit now so I'll stop.