Fender Jazz, where to shop, what to look out for

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edvon, Dec 22, 2004.

1. edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Hi everyone,
    this is my first post, I am fairly new here.

If anyone could give me some hints or links to good resources on Fender Jazz basses, where to shop for them in the US (I am plannning a trip there sometimes next year, most likely West Coast.)

What are the major things to look out for when shopping for a used Jazz, and how do they compare to their new "counterparts"

That's a lot of questions, hope I can return the favour soon if someone plans to travel to Australia and needs some gear shopping tips (Not that a lot of people would, but who knows...)

cheers, Ed
  2. Could probably trade some naturally hollowed dijeridoos and get a reasonable price. I bought one in Queensland for like 40 U.S. and have had offers in the hundreds for it. Really curvy. Red Gum wood with no artwork.

As soon as you get an itenerary, we will be able to help you.

If I was an Aussie, I would go to: San Diego, Orange COunty (south of LA), Carmel/Santa Cruz/San Fran, then Seattle (Bass NOrthWest) then Vancouver/whistler.

Try to take a cheap diversion to Las Vegas. Very Unique city, globally speaking. Lots of cheap deals to Lost Wages. From there, you can day trip to Grand Canyon.

Lake Tahoe is cool too.
  3. edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    thanks for the tips mate,
    that's not a bad idea, trading digdes for a Jazz Bass...
    You are right, Tahoe is cool, lived in Carson City for a while.

Travelling north from San Diego sounds a great plan, I have been as far north as San Francisco, and never been to Seattle, so I would definitely check out the stores there.
  4. BassCentral in Florida is a cool place but it's a little further than you might want to travel.

Basically if it's old, check the common suspects such as faulty electronics, warped neck, replaced pieces/refinished body, and judge accordingly. Just be educated about what to look for (I guess that's why you're here!) and be confident about what you want and how much you want to spend.