Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender jazz without control plate?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, Dec 26, 2001.

1. hey i might buy this fender MIM jazz (thats what its claimed to be) from someone online and i noticed that it does not have a control plate, but instead it has a larger pickguard......i have not ever seen one like this and i thought it was quite odd....is this a real fender or is it like a year fender cut back on costs or something? if someone were to make a bootleg, would they really leave something obvious off like that? where would they be able to find a whole pickguard like that? this is a really good deal and i planned on replacing the pickguard iwth a black one and i need to know if a control plate would still work on even though the holes appear to be in different places? okay thanks so much!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    AFAIK, older MIM Jazzes were made that way - my MIM, which was assembled in June 1997, is just like that.

To get the pick guard + control plate configuration, you'd have to drill some new holes in your bass.