Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I understand that James Jamerson started off the Fender electric series with the first precision, but how did the Jazz bass get started and by whom:bassist:

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    1)To keep the p-bass company
    2)Leo Fender :bag:

3. Um, well your info is not quite right.
    James Jamerson was an upright player who was persuaded to take up electric bass around 61 or 62. The Fender P bass had been on the market for 10 years by then! The first high profile P bass players were Bill Black on Elvis' record Jailhouse Rock, 1957, and both Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins had bassists using them in 1956. If I remember rightly, so did Little Richard around the same time. Monk Montgomery was the first jazzer to use one, I think also around 1956.
    The Jazz bass was created in 1960 by Leo Fender, to satisfy the demands of guitarists who doubled on bass and could'nt handle the P's fat chunky neck, and who also wanted more tonal versatility.

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

I did not know all of that:cool: Thanks for the info and correction:D

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pyro-
    Put these on your Holiday gift/wish list:
    The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History by Black & Molinaro
    How The Fender Bass Changed The World by Jim Roberts
    ;)

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Lighten up Jim, it was a joke!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Lighten up"...that's another pun?
    ;)

I see now I erred...I was calling Fire-Starter "Pyro"(a play on his name).
    Now I see you(the real Pyro) also posted in this thread.
    Doh!
    Mea cupla.
    Lo siento.
    (BTW, good joke!)
    ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Although as people have said you are wrong about the details on Jamerson being the first - he started playing a P bass in 1961 - I think you can say that there was one person who "started off" the Jazz bass.

So - Joe Osborn got his first Jazz bass in 1960 and went on to be on hundreds of hit records with it! You can see this bass with signatures in Jim Roberts' book as JimK mentions!!