1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tater tot, Dec 22, 2004.

1. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    i know its probably a repost but so are most things by now: what do you guys think about the standard fender jazz?
    EDIT: and would it be better for punk/metal/classic rock to get a P bass?

2. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    They fall over pretty easily if you lean them against the couch or your amp.

3. heh, best reply ever

on a more serious note, you might wanna try both of them out since PB have thicker neck and you might not like that.

4. P basses are amazing for old school punk. Jazz basses are more versatile due to the two pickups and have a smaller, faster neck. Both can be used interchangeably, it's really up to you. P basses sound thicker and Jazzes are a little growlier.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I bought a MIM Standard Jazz (BLK) a couple weeks ago just to have an inexpensive 4 stringer to use once in awhile. I originally took home the Special P-bass w/ J&P pups, hoping to get the best of both worlds, but I hated it once I played it longer at home. I returned it the next day for the Jazz. I have really been impressed with the tones from this little bass and band members as well as others have said the same. I sometimes leave my EB/MM Sray 5 at home now. At gigs I used to start with the Jazz then switch to the 5 after a few tunes cause I was so used to playing a 5 string I did not feel like I could play a 4 all nite. But I got used to it again and now I am reading threads here of others upgrading their J's with BA bridges and better pups. I feel like I should have looked for a MIA with the better hardware. I did not realize I could get so many different tones out of the Jazz, I never played one before that day in the store. Now I am thinking of looking around for a 5 string Jazz, maybe MIA Fender, Sadowsky, something so I can get even more of these lovely Jazz style tones in a 5. :eyebrow: Well... you asked.

6. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I've owned a MIM jazz five deluxe a 50th anniversary mia jazz five & a mim jazz five all nice basses but the JO5 I have now just is killer.Try to locate a Lakland dealer to play a Skyline Joe Osbourne 5.
    tony

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thanks Tony, I had a few bassplayers tell me to check out some Lakelands when I stated that I would like some more variation of sound than what I get from EB/MM Sray5. I had never owned a single pup bass before and I felt something lacking in the single pup. But I bought that MIM jazz 4 and love the different tones it offers me, so I thought a Jazz 5 would do me better. A dealer Rockin Robin Guitars Houston just started carrying some lakelands, don't think they are the JO model, but I need to go listen to one and see what I think. BTW I do love my Sray 5 just the same.

8. Skaboy21

Skaboy21

Dec 23, 2004
    W-R NJ
    dude the biggest delema i had was decideing to go for a P or Jazz.... i went with jazz! i just like it better overall.... i felt like my fingers were just moving faster in general on that thing, and the way the sound is, u can set it to sound really however u want.

9. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I like and own them both, but the Jazz is my favorite. It is more versatile and audible in a loud band situation.

With the Jazz Bass, you can have a solid bottom end and a little zing in the upper midrange. The Precision is limited to one or the other, but not both.

I like the Precision for recording most of the time.