fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tater tot, Dec 22, 2004.

1. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    i know its probably a repost but so are most things by now: what do you guys think about the standard fender jazz?
    EDIT: and would it be better for punk/metal/classic rock to get a P bass?
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    They fall over pretty easily if you lean them against the couch or your amp.
  3. heh, best reply ever

on a more serious note, you might wanna try both of them out since PB have thicker neck and you might not like that.
  4. P basses are amazing for old school punk. Jazz basses are more versatile due to the two pickups and have a smaller, faster neck. Both can be used interchangeably, it's really up to you. P basses sound thicker and Jazzes are a little growlier.
  5. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I bought a MIM Standard Jazz (BLK) a couple weeks ago just to have an inexpensive 4 stringer to use once in awhile. I originally took home the Special P-bass w/ J&P pups, hoping to get the best of both worlds, but I hated it once I played it longer at home. I returned it the next day for the Jazz. I have really been impressed with the tones from this little bass and band members as well as others have said the same. I sometimes leave my EB/MM Sray 5 at home now. At gigs I used to start with the Jazz then switch to the 5 after a few tunes cause I was so used to playing a 5 string I did not feel like I could play a 4 all nite. But I got used to it again and now I am reading threads here of others upgrading their J's with BA bridges and better pups. I feel like I should have looked for a MIA with the better hardware. I did not realize I could get so many different tones out of the Jazz, I never played one before that day in the store. Now I am thinking of looking around for a 5 string Jazz, maybe MIA Fender, Sadowsky, something so I can get even more of these lovely Jazz style tones in a 5. :eyebrow: Well... you asked.
  6. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I've owned a MIM jazz five deluxe a 50th anniversary mia jazz five & a mim jazz five all nice basses but the JO5 I have now just is killer.Try to locate a Lakland dealer to play a Skyline Joe Osbourne 5.
  7. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Thanks Tony, I had a few bassplayers tell me to check out some Lakelands when I stated that I would like some more variation of sound than what I get from EB/MM Sray5. I had never owned a single pup bass before and I felt something lacking in the single pup. But I bought that MIM jazz 4 and love the different tones it offers me, so I thought a Jazz 5 would do me better. A dealer Rockin Robin Guitars Houston just started carrying some lakelands, don't think they are the JO model, but I need to go listen to one and see what I think. BTW I do love my Sray 5 just the same.
  8. Skaboy21

Dec 23, 2004
    W-R NJ
    dude the biggest delema i had was decideing to go for a P or Jazz.... i went with jazz! i just like it better overall.... i felt like my fingers were just moving faster in general on that thing, and the way the sound is, u can set it to sound really however u want.
  9. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I like and own them both, but the Jazz is my favorite. It is more versatile and audible in a loud band situation.

With the Jazz Bass, you can have a solid bottom end and a little zing in the upper midrange. The Precision is limited to one or the other, but not both.

I like the Precision for recording most of the time.