Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Oct 10, 2011.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Hey everyone I have always been a Precision bass player, however I have found a guy online selling a 1992 Fender Jazz Standard bass for a little less than $300USD. It was made in Mexico and has some road ware, but has no other problems. I mainly play a Fender Precision bass, however I am wanting to get a Jazz. I was looking into another Precision because it is what I use, however It's been said that it is good to have both a P and J bass if you are a fan of Fender basses because you can get a very wide range of tones from each as they are different. Anyone have any opinions on the MIM '92 Jazz? Or Jazz basses in general and how it stacks up against my Precision?

2. Yes, they're different, but good.

MiM basses are solid, they can be a little hit and miss in the quality department. Play it first, if you like it, may as well grab it.

3. I recently bought a pristine '00 MIM Jazz and really like it. I've used both for years, having kept my mid 70s P (fretless, flats) as a mainstay but decided I really do need to keep a J in the stable. Very versatile instrument so worth having as far as I'm concerned.

As posted above, can be hit or miss in quality but the good ones are sweet and 300 dollars sounds about right.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm pretty sure that in '92, the only line coming out of Mexico was the Squier line. I think the headstock has a Fender logo, but in smaller text it also says "Squier series" or something to that effect. I wouldn't pay $300 for one of those, no thank you.

5. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    Only thing I'd say is pre-2001 mim jazzes had 2 neck sized pickups.
    I know people say its good to have a p and a j but I just love the p sound so if you like variety go for it. If you like to set it and forget it type thing then you might not like having to decide between the two.

6. I would pass.

IMHO, $300 is a little high for a 90's MIM.
    I don't think 90s is vintage - yet.

Plus, I don't like the idea of two same-size pups.

7. I've not had any issues w/the pups being the same size. For a gigging instrument seems OK. YMMV......

8. I'd pass as well. You can get a better deal than that if you really want a jazz. You can get a newer MIM jazz for that if you look around.

9. +1

10. Yeah, on the 90's MIM jazz basses, the bridge pickup is literally the WRONG size, haha. They used two neck pickups. Also, the quality was pretty sub par around that time. And finally, 300 bucks is VERY expensive for a used MIM J bass of any year.

I would keep your eye open for used mim j basses in the 200 dollar range, and when you're looking... anything AFTER 2001 will be safe from double-neck pickup syndrome.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    The $300 price tag seems high for that bass. A new Squier CV Jazz Bass can be had for around that price if you wait for a sale. From what some have said the quality control on these CV's is better than the MIM's. Regardless of that I'd always play it before I'd buy it. I have a 95 MIM Tele and it plays beautifully.

As for P's vs J's it's pretty much a matter of what you like and the style of music you play. Their different sounding instruments and if I had to use simple terms to describe them it would be that the P's are bolder and the J's more subtle. If you have both you'd probably use both.

I've always played Jazz Basses because that's what I prefer but my Modulus was a single pickup bass and more similar to a PBass. If I was playing regularly and I liked Fender Basses I would own both.

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    depends, is your a 300$ or a 3.000$ P bass?

13. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    Don't know about that...I have a '92 MIM. The serials start with MN2******. And it doesn't say Squier on it..My .03$.
    But even if, I wouldn't pay $300 for it. Squier CV for that price would be far better.

14. Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Apr 9, 2011
    MA
    I paid $200 for my used MIM Jazz, its a '95 that I bought in '97. It was in brand new condition at the time. I realize that inflation has changed things over the intervening years, but I still wouldn't pay $300 for a used MIM Jazz that old. Maybe if it were near new, and in mint condition. Otherwise, keep looking. Alternately, make a reasonable offer to the seller, and see if they bite.

15. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    It is not one of those Squier series black Fender logo Jazz basses, it has the silver logo. It is being sold for 250$, but with shipping it comes out to around 300$. I do not understand what you mean by smaller pups, all the American Jazzes I have seen the pups look the same size to those that are on this bass.

16. Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Apr 9, 2011
    MA
    Oh, and a big +1 to the CV Jazz. I don't have one, but I've tried them, and they're very good. I bought a CV Tele Custom recently, and its awesome. Made in China or not, the quality is outstanding.

17. Mister Ed

Mister Ed

Apr 9, 2011
    MA
    Yeah, I'm not understanding that p-up size thing, either. Every Fender or Squier Jazz bass I know of has two single coil p-ups, that are the same size. I replaced mine with SD QP's, one specifically for the neck and one specifically for the bridge. Guess what? Same size as the ones they replaced, and the same size as each other.

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    On a normal Jazz bass, the bridge pickup is 3 3/4" long, and the neck is 3 5/8" long. On the early MIM's, they're both 3 5/8" long. The length isn't the main issue; the main problem is the pickups on a normal Jazz are wound reverse of each other, which makes them noise-cancelling when both are on. On the early MIM's, the pickups are both literally neck pickups, no hum-cancelling, so they hum no matter what.

19. Hondo83

Hondo83 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I think it's more about what style music you play. I have a 2001 MIM Jazz and it's fine enough, but I play mostly blues and standards, and I found I was needing more of a fuller sound than I was able to get out of the Jazz, even just using the neck pickup alone. So I got a Highway One P and put some flats on it, and it seems to fit what I'm playing perfectly.

20. I'm not so sure $300 is such a bad deal -- I have not seen much cheaper MIM Jazzes very often. I bought a '95 Jazz a couple years ago -- I think it was about $280 and it needed a bit of work but it's now a good, solid piece of equipment.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021