Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazzbass with Eden WT800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoel, Aug 4, 2003.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hello,

I've just bought a Fender Jazzbass 1962 reissue American Vintage series model and I got an David Eden WT-800 head with a Eden XLT410 cab.

Does anyone here have a similar setup and if so, how is your EQ setup? I play with the EQ flat and the Enhance knob around 9 O' clock and get a nice sound, but I'm open for suggestions.

The reason I'm asking is that the Eden EQ is so complicated that it's easy to go wild with the EQ settings..

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I play a 62 RI Jazz through and Eden WT 400. I leave the EQ almost flat and just make slight adjustments for the room.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    mine aint a reissue, but otherwise im pretty close here also. 62 jazz->wt800->epifani 410.

enhance at around 9. boost a few clicks on the semi parametric at 10-12k. boost a couple clicks on the treble shelving. i keep the eq around here for all my basses.

4. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thanks!

I also wonder about the gain/master, how much gain and how much master I should put. I like when the bass gets a little distorted but I guess the amp isn't too happy when I put the gain to high?

What kind of music do you guys play?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You kyped my settings, hoser. Anyway, just remember, with Eden EQ, a little dab'll do ya. Try going to 1 o'clock on the bass shelf for a little oomph on the bottom, if you must. Boosting the mid at about 800 hz will give you some growl. Just a touch, though. I've never found any reason to boost beyond 1 or 2 o'clock on any of the EQ knobs. Sometimes I cut mids at about 500 hz to get that Nathan East sound.

I pretty much leave mine just the way you said, and EQ at the bass guitar. You can get plenty of growl just by going to the bridge pickup.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I never boost treble, but thats a matter of taste. I set my volume at about noon for rehearsal and practice at home, with the gain at 10 or 11 o'clock. At gigs, I max the volume (all the way up), and run the gain at about noon.

I play contemporary country, classic rock, blues and current rock/pop in two different bands.

7. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I love Flea's bass-sound on Red hot chili peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I know it is a Stingray bass but does anyone have a suggestion on how to get a sound something similar to it with my Jazz Bass or my Warwick Streamer ProM (modified with seymour duncan basslines pickups and aguilar preamp) ?

I'm also searchin' for Jaco sound..... I think it's hard to get a sound that is defined, punchy and has bottom at once. I mean I get my rig to sound 'ok' but I'm never thrilled.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I used to have a WT-800. I found that the best thing to do is not touch the enhance feature. As you roll it up, you'll get some cool tones but as soon as you get in a room with you band, You will dissappear in the mix!! You're thump just goes away! Set it to Zero, work on a nice tone with the rest of the eq. I don't know the technical reasons for this, but you sure can hear them!!!! Overall, a nice amp. You can bridge it also to get 800 watts if you need it. Read your directions first. You'll need to get a banana plug and hook it up properly. Take some time and study the manual and have fun gigging. Best of luck:D

Rob

9. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Thanks rob.

Actually I'm playing with it bridged.... without bananaplugs, hehe

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

If you're not using banana's, you're actually not bridging it. Get a manual if you don't have one. It's a bit confusing but that's how the amp protects itself. Many have made the mistake of thinking they were running bridged but in essence are not, including myself and many people I know who've owned them. You can even call or email Eden and they'll help you. Please review the back with a manual in hand. Best of luck and enjoy your Eden!!

Rob

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ditto: Just like you and Muji, I find that my WT400 sounds it's best set flat with minor adjustments for differet basses and/or rooms.

12. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    another vote for the enhance knob all the way down. for me, it just seems to take the 'cut' right out. again, enhance all the way down, bass at 1:00 or 2:00 (depending on the room), and a slight boost around 250hz (again, depending on the room).

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    for me and my basses, enhance at zero and bass at 1 oclock is way too muddy. especially with my musicman sterling. enhance at anything beyond 9 oclock is usually too scooped for me though.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The best way to get your answers is to set aside a couple of hours, start at flat, and futz around with it, a little at a time on one knob at a time. Listen to what each knob does to the tone, then mix and match until you have "your tone."

15. Hei igjen :)
    For Jaco Sound, just turn down a little on the neck pickup, and add some low on your rig. Bridge pickup and tone control at max... And, the closer you play to the bridge, the more Jaco you'll get... And of course, Rotosound strings... :bassist:

16. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Congrats on your purchases, I have played and Eden WT 800 with two Eden 410 XLT cabs for about five years now and I will still say that is the best I have ever played through.

Just my opinion on the enhance control, just like the manual states, try everything flat and just adjust the enhance a little to see if you get some workable tones. Like all of the tone controls - a little dab will do ya. One of the beauties I love about the controls on Edens are, you don't have to make any major adjustments any of the EQ to hear a difference. I do run mine with the enhance control at about the one o' clock position and it sounds great when playing by myself, band rehearsal, or live on a small or large stage without getting buried in the mix at all. Matter of fact, I get complements from my fellow band members, soundmen and other musicians on my tone.

Don't forget it depends on your bass too. This setting works for all of my basses (F Bass, Roscoe, Warwick Thumb NT and Streamer Stage II) but also keep in mind that they all have fairly versital preamps too.

Go for the sound you are looking for, with an Eden setup like you have I'm sure you will find plenty of tones you will love.

Oh, like Rob said, you must use the banana jack if you want to bridge the amps.

17. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    This is an old thread started by me, and I'm more knowledged now.

First of all, Raymondn1: Of course I know I must take of the bridge pickup to get jaco'ish sound. Actually, I should take it all the way off and the toneknob all the way off, but I don't wan't that sound anymore.

Second, I have made some changes in my gear since I posted this thread. I have changed the Eden 410XLT cab into two Eden 210T's, and the '62 reissue J-Bass into a original 1964 J-Bass.

The sound in this bass does NOT need any EQ'ing. :bassist:

Cya around :)

-hoel

18. Wow!! I'd like to see it! Pics?

With my bass, I have to add some around 80-120 hz, for more bottom. And if I play straight to the board (DI) it sounds a bit weak. But I use the DI output on mys ashdown, in post-preamp mode, and it sounds great!

Yeah, sure! We're playing at Oppdal this friday! No party this time, but enjoy the funk!!

19. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Don't you clip with the master up all the way? I sure do.