Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender jazzs without pickguard.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    hey..i was looking around for a naturual wood finish..pickgaurdless...like this one

[​IMG]

anyone know if i can only get that in the american version?

2. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

You can do it in 2 easy steps.

1. Buy a Jazz Bass.
    2. Remove the pickguard.

:D

Seriously, the American Standard Jazz bass doesn't come that way. You have to do it yourself.

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    check out the new Fender FMT jazz basses, or the Voctor Bailey signature jazz bass....the Jaco signature as well...

Hope that helps! :bag:

4. I think the American Jazzes have routes. At least my 97 deluxe does. Basically, there's a hole from the neck pickup to the control plate. You can usually see that the hole around the neck pickup is a little bigger than the hole around the bridge one. Older basses (60s,70s) don't have them, so if you can get a nice used one you can take off the pickguard. Timmy's main basses seem to be 70s Jazzes, like the one in your pic.

5. You can take the pickguard off the geddy lee sig too.

(no pickup body route)

6. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Once again, the Geddy Lee is an excellent choice. (Now if we could only coerce Fender to offer more color choices.) :hyper:

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I kept the pickguard off of my standard Jazz for a few months. It's black, so you couldn't really see the cavity, anyway. But in the end, it was pretty ghetto, and I ended up with a Warmoth 'guard.

8. lull&smooth

lull&smooth

Jun 21, 2004
    try lakland they might have something for your interest

[​IMG]

9. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    in my guitar center they have a Mexi Jazz bass in natural finish. just take off the pickguard

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    No, the MexiJazz has that nickel-sized rout under the pickguard towards the lower top bout. I believe that was put there to prevent people from doing the "no-pickguard mod"...

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Why would they not want people to remove the pickguard?

12. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    I have a MIJ jazz... they don't have any routing under the pick guard. they sound great too!!! :bassist:

13. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    i think its not that they dont want guys removing the pick guards... its just that its easy to route the pickcavity straight to the control cavity for the wiring than to drill a small hole underneath the wood for the wiring. thats the only sensible thing I can think of. ;)

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, that would make more sense, at least. ;)

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jaco did it. Thats all i know.

16. j-bass

j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
  17. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    That's where the CNC machine hooks on to it.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Believe it or not ! you can HOWEVER,if you want it that way,then it have to be thru the custon shop.Price-very close to $3000.00 hell just to get a bass in natural/natural you damn'er have to get it from the custom shop unless you get the MIM Jazz bass or the Marcus Miller V.I guest that you can take the pick guard off of it. :eek: Couldn't hurt. :D

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you don't mind a non-Fender (Valenti) Jazz styled bass:

[​IMG]

20. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    as far as i know fender uses CNC machines on mexi instruments. my buddy cut the pickguard off of his P bass and he had one there. you know alembic uses CNC's too.