Fender JB 70's Special Edtion or MM Stingray ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Materialist, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Materialist

Feb 26, 2002
    Help ! I currently have a standard MIM Jazz and still have lots to learn.
    I was planning to get a MM Stingray in a year or so, but now I saw this Sonic Blue 70's JB reissue that looks and feels superb.
    Is this a good investment for the future (would it keep its value)? It costs about as much as a Music Man Stingray, which is a lot of $$ for a JB I think.
    What would you do ?
    -Get this 70's JB and save for a secondhand MM
    -Keep my MIM standard JB and buy a new Stingray later

Any comments welcome...
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Thin? Interesting;)
  3. Jazz basses sound great, but, so do Musicman. If you like both sounds and can't make up your mind, and we're only talking about these two basses, I'd say that the neck would be a very big factor. Simply put, necks don't get much narrower than a Jazz' neck, and they don't get much wider than on a Stingray. Which do you like?
    My vote would be to get a Stingray.

Mike J.
  4. Materialist

Feb 26, 2002
    As i started playing on a Jazz Bass, the neck of the Music man does feel huge, but not incomfortable. More like a new challenge.
    It's just that this 70s reissue JazzBass is the sweetest looking/feeling bass I saw yet.
    If this one would keep it's value, I would opt for a 2nd hand MM together with this one.
    The other option would be to buy a new Music Man and keep the MIM JB I have.

So it comes down to this : is this "70s reissue" as limited as the salesman want me to believe it is ?

What if I sell it in a couple of years ? Will I lose more money on that one compared to a 2nd hand Stingray ?

Any comments More than welcome !
  5. Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    get the jazz !!this one is beautiful and no other brand can give you something like the fender sound!!(the question is do you like the fender sound??:))