1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender JMJ Mustang Bass - chipped fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uforange, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Uforange

Uforange

Jan 9, 2011
    Hello all,

I've got mine a bit ago. This is a really nice sounding bass. But my JMJ has fretboard damages right next to the 14th fret. I haven't seen the road worn before so I have no idea how much it is dented on purpose. If someone here has JMJ or other RW instrument, can you please check whether this is normal RW relicing or not. I highlighted in red and green. Green looks okay but I am worried about the red one because it is eating up the fret. Thank you so much. IMG_0805.JPG

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Really ? A relic bass is a relic bass , I can’t really see anyone returning a relic on the basis of damage.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Uforange

Uforange

Jan 9, 2011
    oh i did not mean it. maybe I should change the title because it is not related with the quality. I was just curious about this is a normal damage shown in RW fenders :)

4. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    I don't know that nicking up the actual fretboard is (or should be) part of a "factory relic" instrument.

5. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yah I'm pretty sure fretboard damage isn't intentional like the finish.

6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I sold my JMJ in the classifieds here to fund a dream bass, but I do miss it-
    As far as the relic’ing on mine, on taking it out of the box (bought it brand new!) the first thing I noticed was that the Fender logo itself had marks of being roadworn:
    2EA698E4-08C6-412A-827E-1C495F202744.jpeg
    Not a dealbreaker by any means, but it made me realize that I had to take my brain out of the “this is a brand new bass and this is a factory flaw” mentality.
    Each bass is without a doubt unique in its relic job— and I willingly paid for the bass knowing it was going to show marks of artificial wear.
    I’d say if it doesn’t affect playability, just roll with it and have a blast putting your own scars on it. I’ll probably pick another one up again at some point!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021