Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender JP-90 : good deal ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJXT, May 4, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'm still looking for a fretless bass.
    I've found in the ads a second hand Fender JP-90 (made in America) defretted bass.
    I haven't seen/tried it yet (I've seen some photos though, and it's not a pretty bass, IMO) but according to the current owner (on the phone), it's in excellent condition.
    It has been defretted by a professionnal luthier (that I have heard of) and he applied a very strong varnish on the fretboard to protect it.
    The guy's selling it for a little less (10%) than the price of a new MIM Jazz Bass Fretless.
    The guy's living a bit far from my town so, before I decide to ask you, fellow TBers ... any thoughts ?

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Why is he getting rid of it after going through the trouble and expense of defretting it?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I was never crazy about the JP-90 and with only 10% savings I'd go for the MIM Jazz.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Because he botched it. :D:rolleyes:

Will C.:cool:

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    My thoughts exactly.

6. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I thought I was pretty well informed on Fender models/history through the many books I've read on the subject,but I can tell you that i've never even heard of a JP-90 model.That can really only mean one thing;that it was not a successful bass either sonically,commercially, or both.I'd tend to stay away from it unless you were building up a Fender collection and were looking for any obscure models to add to it.

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The JP-90 was a one year production insturment...1990, that had a pointed "J" style body (almost like the older ESP "J" style basses) made of basswood. They were USA made and have a slender "J" style neck, "liscensed by Schaller" tuners, P-J pickups, one volue, one tone and a pickup selector swith. It was Fender's attempt to make a budget USA bass. The one I have sounds and plays reasonable well. These can often be found pretty cheap...I have seen several online for $250 and under and IMHO are a steal for that price (especially if a case is included.)

Steve