Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jp 90

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Racsen, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    I searched but i couldnt find anything about this fender bass..

Anybody use it ?

what do you think about this bass ..

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The JP-90 was a smaller Jazz body with P and J p-ups. I think the edges were sharper and the pickguard just covered the p-ups and the knobs. USA made! I had GAS for one in the early 90's and would still buy one if I found one for the right price. It was almost the father of the Aerodyne. It was a little more metal that a regular Fender. There's one on Ebay right now if you want to see what it looks like.

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Buddy of mine in a blues band played one. Sounds killer! I always wanted one, and found one several years ago in a music store. Too bad I had no cash at the time.

Body is slightly smaller, about the size of a Stu Hamm, IIRC. Sorta shaped like a Heartfield, too.

Light weight. I think the color choices were somewhat limited" pearl red, pearl black, SB, pearl blue, pearl white. Something like that.

Overall, a fine bass!

dcr

4. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    I think i will buy it in my country basses are too expensive i think a standart jazz bass madin usa cost 1500$

and this used jp 90 is 750 $

5. Jim Gorman

Jim Gorman

Jul 30, 2004
    Hi Racsen. I'm interested to hear how you got on with the JP 90. You see, I've just bought one. Did you go ahead and by the one you were looking at ?
    Jim. :)

6. I owned a JP 90 for several years and it was the first bass I ever bought. I performed regularly with it and generally liked it but sold it when I wanted a five string. My recollecton is that it has a jazz neck, was very light, had the p and j pickups and was a good basic bass. I do remember though that it was not a particularly deep or meaty sounding bass and i always had to be careful setting it down in a stand because the bottom sloped to one side quite a bit. I wish now I still had it (to make a fretless out of).

7. Jim Gorman

Jim Gorman

Jul 30, 2004
    Badgrandad- just out of interest, what brand of strings and what gauge did you use on your JP 90?

8. Jim Gorman

Jim Gorman

Jul 30, 2004
    Badgrandad- just out of interest, what brand of strings and what gauge did you use on your JP 90? :)

9. McKrakken

McKrakken

Jan 17, 2005
    I have the jp-90 and it plays real nice, and the sound is even better.