Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender jp bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meow, Oct 10, 2005.

1. meow

meow

Sep 26, 2005
    Anyone heard of this model from 1990 with jazz and p pickups? What are the pros/cons?

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    The model is JP-90.
    AFAIK, it´s a cheaper model that´s not up to par with a traditional MIA Jazz or Precision.

3. meow

meow

Sep 26, 2005
    so you think it would be better than MIM? how is it different than just a jazz or precision bass? i'm just debating whether to take a drive to check out this bass that's on craigslist... :cool: thanks so much for your help!

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002

I personally prefer a MIM jazz. One of the main advantages (besides tone) is the resale value. There`s a wider market for MIM in case you decide its not your thing or if you wanna buy a more expensive bass. It`s not the same with a JP-90 since its not so broadly known.

I prefer it, but I can`t say it`s better, just different.

5. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    the JP-90 was my first bass, it's a nice bass but the quality of the MIM basses is better.
    the JP90 has really bad pickups and it's from poplar wood...

6. meow

meow

Sep 26, 2005
    thanks, you guys rock!

7. I too had a JP-90 as my first bass. It was OK, but I wasn't overly impressed with the playability and tone. I haven't played them side by side, but I've played MIM's that were better instruments overall. YMMV, etc.