Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender J's heavier than P's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Apr 12, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I've got two early 1980's Fender Vintage Reissue Precisions (one a 62 and the other a 57) and they each weigh 8 lbs each.

I've also got a 1989 Fender Vintage 1962 Reissue Jazz and a 1999 Fender Jaco Signature and each of these weighs 9 lbs each.

All are alder bodied.

Is it a general rule that Fender alder jazz's are heavier than Fender alder precisions?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aren't Jazz Basses usually made of ash ?

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    My Geddy is alder....

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I must be wrong then. Nevermind :).

5. Fender offers both ash and alder on Jazzes except their signature and MIM models.

The weight of a bass really depends on the components used. As you know, no two pieces of wood are the same, and that applies for the wood used in basses, too. It really just depends on the weight of the woods used on that specific bass.

I would think that if you had a Jazz and P with the exact same woods from the same tree, that the Jazz would be just slightly heavier due to the bigger body.

6. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I have a 2000 MIM Jazz Bass and a 1998 MIM P bass. Both of these have no upgrades that would make them any heavier than stock. I also have a scale, so here we go. The jazz weighs 8.5lbs and the p weighs 9.5lbs. So the p bass weighs 1 lb more than the jazz.

7. My MIM P weighs 9'3" and the MIM J fretless weighs 9'4" on my beam balance scale. I have a Goto 201 bridge on the P, but I think it weighs more than a stock bridge.