1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Kingman SCE acoustic bass output volume

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nicdub, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Nicdub

Nicdub

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi everybody,

I have a Fender Fender SCE acoustic bass and I'm wandering if there is something wrong with the preamp because I have to turn the volume knob all the way up in order to obtain the same volume as a passive electric bass (like a Fender Precision for example).

Anybody has this same model and could tell me if this is a real problem or this bass is made like that?
    Thank you!

Nicolas

2. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    My Kingman has plenty of gain. Perhaps the battery in weak?

3. Nicdub

Nicdub

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi,

Thank you for replying!

I tried with a fresh new battery and it's the same thing.

Does your Kingman has a lot more gain than a regular bass when the EQ is flat?

Nicolas

4. Scapal Wedeldi

Scapal Wedeldi

Dec 9, 2011
    Might be a bit of a late "reply", but it may be useful to others eventually?

I just got one, only had a moment to plug it in, and it' s pretty loud amplified. Even with the three EQ knobs in the middle detent, and a weak battery (well that's what the warning light in the preamp says anyways), it's as loud as, or louder than any of my electrics, and I've got quite a few, and some really powerful ones (couple of Matsumokus, for instance).

Pretty good sound as well, as I said I only had a moment with it, so I can't yet write an in-depth review, but the amplified sound impressed me, it has a lot of "depth" to my ears.
    But I have to confess this is my first electro-acoustic bass, so I really can't compare.
    Others, with more trained ears, might think differently.

For what it's worth...

5. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I got to play my new Kingman SCE this last week at rehearsal. I love it! I thought I was going to have feedback issues, but I put one of those lute hole fillers (with black duct tape on the inside), and I could play very loud without feedback. The neck is very fast and easy to play, being a J-Bass style. The tone is very good. I try to keep the vol. knob almost at max. I tend to boost the bass knob (quite a bit), and cut the middle (a lot), and cut the treble (a good bit).

Of course I modded my Kingman SCE. I replaced the tuners (you should too) with gold Hipshot Ultralites (Clovers). SO much better!! (Still have a bit of neck dive though..). I replaced the stock undersaddle Fishman Sonicore pup with a Fishman Acoustic Matrix pup ('Did the same on my Kingman SCE 6er, as well. Results in a much cleaner, even, high quality sound. 'Takes away all that piezo distortion you get when really digging into the higher strings.). I removed the pickguard, and replaced the strap buttons with gold buttons.
    She looks/plays great! I'll try to get a photo or two up soon.