Fender Kingman string peg problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gumps, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Gumps

Gumps Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Fender Kingman came with round wound phosphors. I went to put on LaBella gold tape wounds. When I put the pegs in and began to tension the strings, the retention pegs pop out. I have tried sanding the pegs and scoring the pegs for more resistance to slip along with pre-bending the strings at the bridge. I did get them to hold but a new set of strings will have me wrestling with the pegs again. Anyone have this problem? This also happened with a set of steel strings I tried to use.

2. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have had this with my Ibanez. Make sure the ball end of the string is next to the peg and not hooked on the bottom of it. Otherwise press the peg in firmly and slowly wind it up to tension.

You'll find the gold tapes to be a huge improvement. The bronze may be a hair louder but awful tone and feel and do not last very long IMHO.

Good luck and maybe someone will have better advise.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Bend the ball end and hook it over (toward the neck) on the bottom of the hole. Insert peg. That is the correct way to do it. The peg isn’t to hold the tension, it’s to jam the ball so it hooks on the body. Works fine on thin guitar strings where the peg easily bends the ball end when you insert it, but thick bass wire needs pre-bending.

jthisdell likes this.
  4. Gumps

Gumps Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Wisconsin
    This was excellent information, thank you. I've only experienced ivory pegs on my acoustic six string and this is the first bass ive had with these. Thanks again!

96tbird likes this.