1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender-knowledge needed! Got an unusual looking p-bass from my drummer to work on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kombi, Mar 27, 2015.

1. kombi

kombi

Jan 3, 2011
    Germany
    My drummer (who got this bass from his brother) gave me his mexican P-Bass for some repairworks.

Once I removed the pickguard there was a round sticker near the fretboard and a routed hole which doesn't look amateurish and is also lacquered (see picture).
    There's no toogle-switch and none is needed since it's a single pickup bass. Besides, theres no routing to the electronic anyway.

Sorry for the blurry picture of the Serial No. If necessary I'll post the Serial No. (don't have the bass with me at the moment).

Could anyone help with some information on this?

Attached Files:

2. CNC machine hole IIRC.

96tbird likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Mexican P bass. Looks totally normal.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep

5. kombi

kombi

Jan 3, 2011
    Germany
    Really? Ok. Have only seen Jazz Basses so far, didn't know that's a thing with Mexican P-Basses. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Almost all Fenders made in the past 15+ years have that CNC hole. The two main exceptions being the Vintage Series and the Highway 1 series.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    yup .. as stated, regular MIM Standard P bass .. this one would have been made post the mid '01 transition, and therefore have an alder wood body ... color would be Agave Blue .. from serial # it should be a very early '02 build date, probably Jan or Feb ... finish would not be lacquer though this is poly .. ;)