Fender Lace Sensor pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whats the deal with these? Are they good? WHat makes em different.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Lace Sensor pickups are actually made by Lace Musical Products.

I've never played a bass with lace sensor pickups, but I had a Fender Stratocaster with lace sensors and I liked 'em very much.

FWIW, I don't think (I'm not positive) that they make bass pickups anymore. I don't think there was a large enough demand.

You might also be able to find more info. at the FDP: http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html in The 'Pup' Tent forum. Don Mare from Lace Music Products is an FDP member, and might pop in and answer some questions you might have...
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I had a PJ set on my '92 Precision and didn't like them at all...they sounded very thin, nothing like a Precision should sound. Replaced them Basslines, and that bass now sings.
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't care for em for Bass. They sound awesome in a Strat, but not in a bass. Low output, not a whole lotta bottom. Actually, It wasn't too present in the other frequencies either. Very sterile sounding, and it lacked meat.
  5. i thought they sounded real nice in this one bass i played. very smooth, warm tone. probably perfect for a fretless too. never tried Transensors but i hear they are more piano-y.
  6. -likewise; Lace sensor PJ set on my '92 Precision plus.
    replaced them with EMG Selects.
  7. David Riha

David Riha

Jul 21, 2014
    I have a 92 with the Lace Sensor pickups and the volume on the J pickup is very low, in fact I cant hear it without turning up the amp. I can t go back and forth without making serious volume adjustments, is this normal for that year? What might be going on?
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!!

Gotta love 10+ year old zombie threads!

But anyway, Lace now has Man O' War bass pickups which are still Lace Sensors but with much more output. I have them in my Lakland 44-02 and they are stellar.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Well, all I can say is my early 90's US Jazz Plus came with lace sensors and a Kubicki designed preamp and it sounds great. Not only can it boom like nobody's business, it can also ring like a bell, or ape a piano with no problem at all. Since the pre has a passive mode it's pretty plain most of the magic happens in the pre, but the pups alone are fine for practice or low volume situations.

One of the other big upsides to this bass is it can make all but the crappiest of amps sound decent, and a good amp sound exceptional.

Not sure if it was the dinky body or the meh rep of the pups that caused the Plus to not sell very well, but after playing one when they first hit I had to have it and it served as my only bass for a number of years. A lot of heavyweight local bass players I thought very highly of complimented me on my tone when I was using it full time.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014