Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Lyte Deluxe (give me your opinions on it)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Mar 23, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've decided that I may want to purchase (waste more money on a 4th bass) a Fender P-bass Deluxe Lyte Deluxe.

Opinions on this bass would be appreciated.

thanks...

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It'd help if someone would respond!!!!!!!

3. Patience, grasshopper....

I tried one of these out a few months ago. I got the distinct impression that the neck was too heavy for the body. Almost felt like I had to hold it up to keep it from tipping down. But then, I'm used to heavier bodies, so maybe it's just me.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    What about the sound?

And this grasshopper is still just a cricket!

Not old enough to have patience!

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Weight hasn't affected me with any of my bass's yet... I doubt it's going to.

6. CrawlingEye,
    I’ve had a P Lyte for about six months, and for the money it is a great bass.
    Very powerful & punchy with a wide range of sounds, and a nice, very fast neck. Mine, an early 90’s gold hardware model, is not neck heavy at all.
    Total weight on my bass is 7 pounds, which is good for long gigs.

Also Carol Kaye now uses one exclusively, and raves about them. She actually bought it and is not a Fender endorsee.

I have heard some people say they have noisy active electric’s, but I haven’t had this problem. It is not my first bass, but I take it now mostly as a backup, saying that, once I start playing it, I don’t often put it down for quite a few songs.

I have some pics of it on my photo point home page. If you want to see, click on my home page above this post.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    played one today at a smaller music store here in town, I am a Fender Freak so I liked it. I think there are 2 models, one made of mahogony and with a humbucker pickup in it, thatd be the one id shoot for.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The Lyte deluxe is the version with the humbucker and mid control, that's the one I'd be aiming for.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    There is no "For the money" involved. Money just decides how much time and how expensive the materials in it cost, not how the sound is.

How does it sound in comparison to other bass's?

10. CE are you not able to go out and try one or something?

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I bought one last year,kept it for a couple of weeks and returned it.Not because it was not a good bass,but I just decided I wanted to go more into 5 string direction with my playing (I got a Thumb Bolt On 5 when I returned the Lyte Deluxe).I would say it was the most pleasing Fender I'd played on in quite a while,and if I ever feel more like getting back into 4 again,it's on my short list.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    C-Eye, money does affect sound and quality, a lot. You wont find a $200 MIM Fender of better build quality than a $6000 Fodera. And, IMO, the Fodera will sound better, and you can choose what you'd like it to sound like beforehand!

And, as a little general tip, please stop posting 10 times in a row between other peoples responses. It wastes space. Just use the little edit button; the multiple postings are really getting on my (and probably others) nerves, and it's just a very bad habit. Its ok "occasional" thing, but dont keep doing it like this.

P.S., an occasional thanks to these people would be nice. They aren't here to serve you, nor do are they forced to tell you everything you want to know. They're doing this as a service, and it's always nice to be polite. Through your other big thread, you never once said a "thanks". Maybe i'm wrong though.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No, I'm not. the only way I can obtain one is through ordering it. My local store can't get ahold of one without ordering one from Fender.

So that means, I can't try one out before I decide if I want it or not, And they won't take it back either if I order it.

So my only option is to ask tons of questions on here and probe around.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You know, I really don't appreciate you trying to act like my father, seriously. I give a "thanks" after every post generally. And perhaps you could've been nicer about telling me how the edit button works, as far as I figured it just worked for the person who posted, to be able to delete posts they no longer wanted to see.

And you don't quite comprehend it at all, do you? Sound is opinionated. I like my Danelectro Hodad more than a MM Stingray. Not saying you will, but I do. It's all about personal opinions. Perhaps you have more to learn about that sort of thing.

Now I'd REALLY appreciate an apology from your part for being so cocky.

Another example. Read my original post, perhaps it'll give you more reason to apologize. That was me saying "thanks..." in there.

As for you though? I've never seen you say thanks. And honestly I don't even find a point for it to be a "standard" thing to say. I mean this is a free thing, there's no obligations for anyone to post other than good will. I've posted responding to other people already. I think it's a "give and get"
    type community here.

I'm sorry for being brutally realistic and blunt, but it's the truth.

15. :rolleyes:
    Oooof! Irritable? Try Tai Chi ;)...

(or Yoga maybe)...

(Anger Management?)...

Thanks.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    yeah... that's what I was thinking, Xavier.

I think I should finally answer his question... "maybe I'm wrong?"

yes, you are wrong.

Now, back to my actual topic.
    How universal is the bass? (the lyte deluxe model with the humbucker and mid control)

17. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Okay, you're not able to try one out, but you've decided the Lyte Deluxe is on your short list of basses to buy, correct? My advice: pick one up used off of eBay (they usually go for around $400 in nice condition), play it and if you don't like it, put it back up on eBay. You'll likely not lose much, if any, money. I'd have a hard time dealing with a store that won't take back a bass I didn't like just because they ordered it. It's not like you're ordering custom options; it's a stock bass. If you do decide to buy a new one, I'd mail/net order it. You'll pay less, I'd guess, and since you've got to keep it if you order it locally, what's the difference.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah Xavier, irritable. Yadda yadda yadda. It just irks me when someone asks 100 questions then yells when he's not responded to. Granted, he said thanks in this original one, but look over at the other thread. Yes, it bothers me. But maybe i've just got a fly in my ointment. Bitch at me if you'd like, i dont mind.

C-Eye, i understand about personal preference 100%. I was talking about build quality, which in this case, isn't personal preference in the least bit. A Fodera will be built better than an MIM Fender. When i got to sound, i said "IMO", which means "In My Opinion". So yes, i understand perfectly about preference.

Yes, you are wrong.

Whoops, gosh, what was i thinking? :rolleyes:

19. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    Eye, buy one off of musiciansfriend.com. They've got good prices, and if you don't like it you can return it for a full refund, not credit (within 45 days or someting). Customer service is very good.

20. Well Eye,

When I said "for the money" that is what I meant.
    I also said I use it for my back up bass and some other nice things about the Lyte. My main bass is a Sadowsky, and no, the Lyte doesn't come anyway near to the quality of sound that the Sad produces.

Never the less it is a well made, good sounding versatile bass with a great neck.