1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Lyte Deluxe: Wax vs. Oil

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TeamTrejo, May 9, 2010.

1. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    I have Precision Lyte Deluxe with an unfinished Mahogany body. What should I be using to maintain the wood? Ive used orange oil in the past. Should I be waxing this? If so, with what product?

[​IMG]

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That looks like it has a finish on it to me. An oil/varnish blend probably.

I like using furniture paste wax. Clean it when needed with a bit of mineral oil, apply wax when needed and buff with a soft cotton cloth.

I just got some ridiculously expensive pure beeswax which is nice too, but softer than most furniture paste waxes. It buffs up faster but not quite as much gloss.

3. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Nice Bass, like mine.Its my fav bass of all time.Along with my Standard 2 Tone Sunburst Lyte they are rippin basses.
    Anyway my mate in Ohio told me he uses Tung-oil with Steel Wool & rubs it in then gets rid of the excess & does it all again untill the wood starts to reject it.
    He has 2 of the nicest Mahogany Deluxe Lytes that ive ever seen.Everytime i talk with him i ask if he is ready to sell me one of them but i always get the big NO.