fender lyte p bass????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman454, Feb 20, 2002.

1. i was thinking about buying a fender p bass lyte, its cheap and looks good, i havn't played it though but what are your opinions on this bass??

i guess its still not a real fender p bass huh?
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have one. I really liked the neck, which is actually a Jazz style neck, narrow (1.5 ") at the nut. It is also a very lightweight bass, with a basswood body (the regular model, they also made a deluxe model with a mahogony body), great if you are tired of a sore back and shoulder. These things make it different from a standard P bass, more of a hybrid P & J with active electronics. The basswood body gives it a slightly different sound from a standard P bass. The pickups were a little sterile sounding for my taste, so I installed Bartolini pickups in it (it has one P and one J style). The originals weren't bad pickups, and many people would like them - especially rockers, but I prefer a warmer sounding pickup. Overall a pretty good bass. With the jazz pickup at the bridge and the active electronics it is more versatile than a regular P bass. If you can get it for a reasonable price, then get it.
  3. The P-Bass Lyte's have been discontinued. They have been replaced with the new "Zone" series.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If you still want that j at the bridge, get a p-bass special. get it with a maple neck for extra funkyness.
  5. i was looking at some reviews of the fender lyte and a lot of them said how they go out of tune easy with the weather etc...and also one said that the bolt is the neck strip easy so... i dunno, i don't really need it but i saw a metalic black one with gold hardware for $400 aus, it was made in japan ut are all the lights made in japan? if not what are the main differences between MIJ ones and mexican ones??
  6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As far as I know, all the Lytes were made in Japan. I didn't have any trouble with mine going out of tune with temperature changes (although I live in Hawaii where the temperature doesn't change much), but the one time I did have a problem was when I flew to Japan and it went in with the checked luggage (in a hard case). When I got there I had to tighten the truss rod about 1/2 turn because the strings were all buzzing. I don't know if it was from the change in temperature, or barometric pressure or just bad handling by JAL. It was a very minor thing, and not a problem at all (I always carry tools when I travel for this kind of thing). I still think it was a good bass, and as good quality-wise as the Mexican Fenders.
  7. Purs

Feb 20, 2002
    I haven't had had any problems staying in tune with mine either.